Headliner Removal

paulo57509

I never did get around to fixing my Skytop sunroof on my 1992 Lumina Euro coupe:

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/44268-HALP!-I-fuxord-my-sunroof!?highlight=skytop

Any tips on dropping the headliner? Looks like the entire interior above the door line needs to come off.

I had unplugged the rocker switch to insure that the roof could never be opened until I had a chance to fix it. It's been unplugged for 8-10 years now. Now is the time....to tear into it.

This afternoon when was leaving work on my lunch hour, I had just started the car and heard a rubbing-kind of sound. What the heck was that? I start down the road and I hear a bunch of wind noise. Dang.....the sunroof opened up by itself about 1/2".....with the switch unplugged. :think:

Now I can get the dang thing shut. Even bypassing the switch and jumping the harness wouldn't budge the roof.

Edited by paulo57509

You are right, pull back the top parts of the interior, remove sunvisors/clips, and pull down slowly and gently. It should be velcro'd to the roof of the car.

Mine wasn't. Mine was a '95 GP and didn't have a sunroof, but definitely no velcro.

Looking at the removal procedure in the FSM with what I'm seeing on the car, they don't compare well. I think this is because of the aftermarket (SkyTop) sun roof.

I'm sure I can get the sun roof innards exposed but it doesn't look like a picnic, that's for sure.

I have to get to the sunroof mechanism and the only way is to drop the headliner. But it is so old and deteriorated that the fabric and foam backing just crumbles when I touch it. I can see a headliner rebuild project in my future.

I finally got some time this afternoon to snap some pics and figure out how the sunroof installer did the headliner.

This photo shows the front portion of the headliner. Through the tear on the fabric, I can see the original headliner; fabric-foam and backing board.

bluminaheadliner001.jpg

This photo shows the rear portion of the headliner and the panel that runs across the front edge of the rear window. I can feel the original headliner foam and backing board along the front edge of the panel.

bluminaheadliner003.jpg

This photo shows the edge along the door. If the trim was removed from the door opening, you'd be able to see that the headliner fabric is glued to the roof underneath the trim.

bluminaheadliner005.jpg

I think the plan of attack when I go to rebuilding the headliner is to:

1. Start at the sunroof opening and stretch the fabric towards the front of the roof and up and over the original portion of the headliner.

2. Then do the same at the rear.

3. Finally, stretch and secure the side of the headliner with glue underneath the door and rear quarter trim.

I think the biggest headache will be the trial and error fitting of the fabric front and rear.