15" Rims Not Fitting

BS009

So last winter I bought two winter tires for my 94 Regal and had them mounted on some leftover 15" steelies from my last w-body which was a 91 Regal. I used them on the front last winter without any issues, but when I went to test fit them on my 94, they didn't clear rear calipers or brackets. These fit the front perfectly just not the rears.

I thought that w-body's still came with 15's after the rear brake update in 94? If so why don't these fit.

As a side note, i picked up a spare tire from the junkyard and it slightly rubs on the caliper and bracket.

I have installed all new rotors all around but I seriously doubt that's the issue.

I wanted to put these tires on the rear this year and get a new set for the front so that I can rotate them, but I don't want to have to buy another set for 16" rims.

Does anybody know why they won't fit, or what rims would fit?

Edited by BS009

There is a difference, which is a change in the rim shape to clear the calipers on the metal rims, all done to clear the caliper. Imagine the center HUB piece, notice that the rim has a kick in, which is where the rim contacts the caliper, before it meets the outer part of the rim. imagine that as a "thumb grove" the 94+ rims do not have that thumb groove.

The same is true on spare tires. 93- spares are 15" and 94+ are 16"

yeah you'll need 15 inch steel wheels from a 94+ to fit. Had the same problem years ago when I put the 94' brakes on my 93 z my 15 inch steelies would no longer clear them.

They are living on my in-laws Montana van.

Maybe . . . . just maybe those rims are what will make your mother-in-law hate me. Thus far nothing else has worked.:shrug:

Sorry BS009, apparently those are already spoken for.

the offset of calipers are different from front to rear. This is why they would fit on the front and not the back. you can run a spacer but you'll have to look how much is really needed. They sell 1/8 spacers any most auto parts stores. I wouldn't go further than that on stock studs.

the rims that fit on the front but not the rear is true until you get into the larger front brake territory during the middle of the 1995 model year.

spacers may be a solution, but i certianly don't like them.

Edited by Crazy K

if possible, you should spin any steel rim you are looking to buy for warpage. I had a 50% failure rate for bent rims when I was looking for a set of steelies. I would spin them and see if the inner lip stayed true or wavered. steelies give and bend way too easy, they have 'barrel shift"