Newer 2nd Gen GP Wheel

GP1138

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-GRAND-PRIX-STEERING-WHEEL-/220859022691?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336c393d63#ht_2387wt_906

I obviously have the original GP steering wheel -- how hard would it be to install the revised wheel/airbag/SWRC in my '97? Would the airbag work? SWRC? I know the wheel would mount and everything but I don't know if the SWRC wiring is the same, etc.

you are kind of restricted to a 97 style wheel if you want a functioning airbag. 98' brought about the dual stage airbags and are not compatible with the earlier setups. you could put a bonneville/94-96gp style wheel in if you wanted to though. other then the airbag i'd imagine a newer one would bolt right up

Fail. I'll do some more reading but it's looking like dual-stage airbags retrofitted into single-stage cars do NOT work correctly. I'm seeing some Audi and BMW guys doing this stuff. One guy actually installed it in this fashion but that's it.

I always wanted to do that because then who would now its not a 01- or 02. But, there were more problems then just the air bag IIRC, I was fine with not having something blow up in my face :lol:. Im not fond of them. Check into the spline spacing. I think ken said something about that.