STUPID SIDE POST TERMINAL BOLTS!!!!

Oilpatch197

:lol:

What really pisses me off? You buy a replacement battery-starter cable and you got another cable that runs to your stereo, with the batt side terminal end, you buy the dual cable connect kit(basically a longer batt bolt and a spacer) you try to screw it all on the battery and the stupid thing won't engage the threads.

Seems like a lot of after-market side post terminals are simply too thick and since the bolts are stupidly short to begin with, you will only get one or two threads to catch in the battery.:lol:

I took that spacer from that kit and hacksawed off 1/8th of an inch! Now it snugs up to the duralast battery.:mad:

Yeah sidepost batteries are the work of Satan himself. Not only is there very little thread holding anything on, but even a little bit of corrosion buildup causes it to lose electrical connection, while top-posts usually work fine even with corrosion build-up until the terminal/cable rots off completely ala Chrysler LH cars (Concorde, LHS, 300M, tepid Intrepid). The dealer I work out is about 90% Chrysler work, 10% GM work, but battery terminal connection problems we see on GM cars way outnumber that we get on Chrysler's cars with top-posts. We really wouldn't see it at all on top-posts if it wasn't for LH cars, but those things are so junk there isn't a good piece on them including battery cables.

Let me guess: The side post batteries that you see with corrosion problems...are mostly Delco batteries?

I almost never see a corroded side post battery cable end EXCEPT those connected to Delco batteries. (I mean "corroded between battery and cable"; having some corrosion on the external wrenching surface of the bolt is no big deal).

Solution is to replace the battery, because the lead insert in the side of the battery for the battery cable bolt is no longer sealed to the case, and so acid/vapors are leaking out of the case causing the corrosion. Common as dirt with Delco batteries; the OEM Delco batteries maybe seem worse than the aftermarket Delcos.

You can get longer bolts at most stereo shops and auto part stores. Good ones are more expensive. $3-5 each as opposed to $1.99 for 2 of the cheap ones. Gets rid of the problem