Odometer Rolled back

Cougnut

Yo!

I bought my 91 Z34 a few months back for 1500, dumped about 2,000 into it so far. I took it into the dealership to see what they would give me as a trade in for it, and they notified me that the odometer had been ROLLED! When I bought the car, the owners told me that they had it for about 12 years and it was rarely driven, (was about 94 thousand miles when I bought it). Just hit 100,223 miles in it. From the Carfax report it read that it was brought into a dealership in 2006 with 164k on it. It runs SMOOTH (well since I replaced, tensioner, alternator, all 4 tires, EGR valve, Idle air, Torque mount, window motors, transmission flush/filter, sound system, keyless entry, bypass hose and a bunch of other small things that I can't think of at this moment.

The dealership reported that it was mechanically sound but the floorpan and frame has damage. The title is somehow... clean. I am guessing the true milage is about 200,000. What I'm also guessing is that they had to of had the engine and transmission rebuilt at some point.

If you guys could answer these questions, that'd be rad.

What's the usual milage that the transmission and engine go out, and did the 91 z34s come with ABS?

I should of known that the milage was incorrect, the day after I bought the car, I locked myself out. The owners had the keys to the door rekeyed, and didn't provide me with the correct keys. The bypass hose was fused together with some sort of black goo/glue. and the bolt holding it in was glued in place.

Moral of the story, get a carfax if you're buying from craigslist. The interior is beautiful and looks nowhere near 20 years old. I'm not a mechanic so I don't really know all that much haha.

Thanks guys.

I'm guessig some one swapped the guage cluster for some reason at some point. That one had less miles on it. So go to the junkyard and find a cluster with over 164k and install it in your car and no one will be the wiser.

I have also seen morons at shops just randomly guess mileage of a car rather than take the second to check. A first gen as a trade in might fetch 12 more dollars at 100k miles vs 160k miles. Dealers could care less if the lumina is a z34. To them a 20 year old lumina is scrap and will give you probably 400 as a trade if they feel generous. An offer of 100 wouldn't be out of the question for them either. Keep it or sell it private party.

a 91 lumina would not have ABS, it was first available standard on Euros in 92, and standard on all in 93

there is no way that we can tell you when the engine or tranny will wear out, maintenance has a real effect here. some cars dies young, and some die old. your Z should have a transmission cooler and may have an oil cooler, both work to extend the life of the engine and trans. Likely you can get plenty of more life out of her.