door lock remotes

gp1991

so i have searched the site and have not found anything that explains this too me in the simplicity that i need, i know nothing about this. My car does not have this feature i think, but if it did, where would the reciever be located. Is there something that would say in the vin search that says if my car had this option. Also if i do have the reciever could i simply hook up a new remote and that would work? i bought this car used so i dont know if it has this because it didnt come with remotes. if it does not have it how hard would it be to install? sorry for so many questions i really have no idea on these things at all.

1. Go open your trunk

2. Look on the spare tire cover at the RPO codes (3-digit codes in alphabetical order)

3. Look for "AU0" - keyless entry code

4. ???

5. PROFIT!!

If that code is not on your cover, but you suspect it doesn't have the correct cover, you can check by the antenna wiring. If there is a single prong wire hanging down there, you have it. This is the wire you need to ground to program new/replacement remotes. If not, no dice.

What I did on my '89, my first car, was just get a really cheap Bulldog kit, and just wired it up so it locked/unlocked the doors. It was I think three wires, minimally invasive, and it was in the driver kick panel, I just mounted it in the underdash area there and ran an antenna up the A pillar.

I didn't follow the directions exactly, you are supposed to wire it so it flashes lights, etc, all I cared about was that it locked and unlocked the doors. It's just wiring, though. A factory keyless system is much more involved and almost not worth it, since the aftermarket kits have much better range.

The quick and dirty ways to know are -

by the antenna, there would be this dangling wire with a single male connector inside. It is used in reprogramming the system.

Another way is pull off the rear passenger speaker cover , carefully lift the back dash and see if there is a black box in there with a wire harness going to it. That is the module. You can remove it by prying it out of there, pretty easy. Just a screwdriver or something to pry it out.

For re-installation - re-route that harness to the trunk area and find a cozy spot to screw the module, but make sure the trunk hinges will not interfere with it. No need to try to fight it back under the rear dash unless you want to. Ground that stray connector to any suitable metal on the car using an piece of extra wire and the doors will activate and then you push the buttons on the remote and it is programmed. Cake.

FYI - those older modules tend to screw up. I have had nothing but problems. You can resolder all the connections and MAYBE get some more life out of it but it may not last. Those modules just go bad after so long. Even if you find one at a junk yard, count on resoldering it (but try it first to see if it works without that hassle)

Now if you don't have any kind of keyless entry system at all, you can get one at most parts stores for $40. I did that with an old ford contour I used to own. I just wired everything into the driver door (those door covers on contours are cake to remove and install, not so sure about the GP.)

this is not really recommended but if you DO take the door install route, you could just power it thru the power door lock voltage supply.

i can find the blue and black lock and unlock wires but where is the 12V constant. i see a pink and a slightly darker pink and then i see a red with a white stripe on it. im in the drivers side under the wheel.

im trying to install that 40 dollar bulldog one and i see a pink wire, a slightly darker pink(might be red) and a red one with a white stripe. These are all pretty thick wires reliative to the ones on the kit and the blue and black needed to unlock the doors. I just am not sure what one i need to tap into for the 12V power source.

I've bought 3 remotes from ebay, I have the system factory installed for my 94 vert, still no luck! I even hired the GM guy to come to my house and try, NO JOY! HELP!!! New batteries, and it's still dead?

ED