The W-Body Interchange Thread

virtuetovice

First and foremost, I don't know if this has been done in the past so apologies if I'm hitting the replay button, so to speak.

This is the thread to post useful tidbits of interchange info, or request it. Some of us have Hollander or other ways of finding this, but sometimes it's not 100% right.

For example, I've found that door mirrors are directly compatible between Cutlass coupes and sedans. Now some of this may be redundant information for some of you but I know well that it's useful for plenty of others. I for one, did not know this until I simply tried. :lol:

So, lets try to keep this page on topic. I'm sure it could become a plethora of useful info for visitors and members alike.

All windshields are the same IIRC

Lumina coupe and Lumina sedan trunklids are NOT the same

Outside door handles on Lumina sedans are also used on Corsicas

Door closers are the same across all W-bodies but you have to match front or rear. I am unsure of if the front ones from a sedan will work on a coupe, though.

All carpet in 1st gens is the same shape, you have to match the range of years though because the floor pan changed at some point

Just found out that the power sedan mirror actually works correctly in my coupe, the connectors are even the same :dance:

Note that the pigtail coming out of the sedan mirror is CONSIDERABLY longer than the coupe mirror. By considerably I mean an extra foot. It makes things a lot easier. :lol:

Lumina coupe door handles are Lumina only

TGP and 91-93 GTP valances interchange

B4U seat skins can be switched side to side (can use a passenger seat to rebuild a drivers)

Grand Prix trunk lids do NOT interchange coupe to sedan

Cutlass trunk lids do interchange coupe to convertible

Cutlass coupe front fenders can be modified to fit convertible

94 Cutlass dash pieces surrounding the steering column are 94 only due to the round 94+ column

CS sedan master window switch will work in a convertible but the trim bezel is the wrong shape

CS coupe door speakers and associated door panels will bolt on in a convertible. Pass. side is prewired on all cars, drivers on some.

• 1 month later...
Will the front fenders from 92 and up CS coupes fit the earlier years? I need a fender and their hard to find up north.

I did some searching and the 92-97 coupe fenders have a different side turn signal and the opening on the fender is different from the 88-91 style coupes.

90-91 Convertibles also have different fenders, but ones from a coupe can be modified to fit a convertible. So maybe they can be made to work as well??? Finding a 90-91 CS convertible is unlikely.

Your best bet is going to be to find a 88-91 CS coupe fender. It will match perfectly.

I'll be heading your way this weekend. If I have time I'll hit up a junkyard or two before then and if I find one I'll sell it to you.

not sure if it is a direct swap but some one used 92?-97 coupe CS fenders on a 94 sedan

if i ever get a coupe or convert i plan on doing the revers of this sedan noses on a coupe/convert

• 1 month later...

IIRC means...?

Where did you get your windshield info? I have a 2000 Grand AM 4 door with a new windshield I want to put into my 2002 Grand AM GT 2 door. I just need to know if it will work. Thank you in advance for ANY light you can shed on the subject.

Necessity

I did some searching and the 92-97 coupe fenders have a different side turn signal and the opening on the fender is different from the 88-91 style coupes.

90-91 Convertibles also have different fenders, but ones from a coupe can be modified to fit a convertible. So maybe they can be made to work as well??? Finding a 90-91 CS convertible is unlikely.

I've got a '91 Cutlass Convertible parts car in the For Sale section. $25.00 plus shipping for either fender.

Edited by White92Cutlass

IIRC means...?

Where did you get your windshield info? I have a 2000 Grand AM 4 door with a new windshield I want to put into my 2002 Grand AM GT 2 door. I just need to know if it will work. Thank you in advance for ANY light you can shed on the subject.

Necessity

They are the same... Alero and Grand Am rear windshields are the same also for future reference

My Coupe has always had a difficult to work electric door lock switch on the drivers side. I have pulled 3 or 4 from junkyard cars, and they are no better. On a whim, I tried the passenger side switch (obviously gets much less use) and it works perfectly. No wiring changes, just snaps in. The only problem is that the switch works backwards, so the icon on the switch is wrong. No bfd. Makes life much easier when trying to let someone in the passenger side.

• 2 weeks later...

I know the lights are different on them. The measurements are the same though. The front clip kind of swoops up to accomidate the shorter side turn signal. Also covers up the bottom front of the fender. As opposed to the earlier models that butted up to the bottom of the fender. Also another clue is, the 92-97 have unused holes on the bottom where the 88-91 would bolt right into. So??? I'd be tempted to try but dont want to buy a fender that wont work.

• 3 weeks later...
Lumina coupe door handles are Lumina only

TGP and 91-93 GTP valances interchange

B4U seat skins can be switched side to side (can use a passenger seat to rebuild a drivers)

Grand Prix trunk lids do NOT interchange coupe to sedan

Cutlass trunk lids do interchange coupe to convertible

Cutlass coupe front fenders can be modified to fit convertible

94 Cutlass dash pieces surrounding the steering column are 94 only due to the round 94+ column

CS sedan master window switch will work in a convertible but the trim bezel is the wrong shape

CS coupe door speakers and associated door panels will bolt on in a convertible. Pass. side is prewired on all cars, drivers on some.

There are holes for speakers and bolt holes underneath convertible door panels? No cutting or drilling required?

Red93

When I installed speakers in my 'vert the bolt holes and holes for the speaker were in place. Mine was even pre-wired on both doors.

IMG_4746.jpg

With some cutting the holes for the speakers are marked in the door panel.

IMG_9312-1.jpg

IMG_5012.jpg

Then all you need is a speaker cover from a coupe.