Moog Spring pads How to install (pics)

94 olds vert

I think there was a write up done on how to install these. I wasn't able to find it. I don't think there was any pictures with that one either.

IMG_1574.jpg

Jack up the rear end. Get out your jack stands.

IMG_9742.jpg

You will need two 1" sockets. Your favorite breaker bar and your favorite "liquid wrench". I sprayed some W-40 on the night before. They didn't look rusty. So I just used w-40.

The reason I used two sockets was so I could put one on each end of the bolt so it wouldn't spin on me.

I find taking off the Bottom TA mount helpful. Just to get it out of the way. You don't have to.

IMG_5981.jpg

If you have one of those stupid shield around your rotors. There are 2 8mm bolts pointing towards the front of the car. I took that off to get more room.

Get a block of wood and a jack. Place it under the mono-leaf close as you can get it to the knuckle. That is the reason I removed the bottom TA bolt.

IMG_4567.jpg

Jack it up slowly until you get enough room to get access to your old spring pad. That is if there is still one there.

IMG_6565.jpg

Use a screw driver to get it out. And never put your fingers under the mono leaf pad. Even though it might be tempting. Don't do it.

IMG_6516.jpg

New spring pad.

After you get the old one out. It should look like this. Try to clean off the bottom of the mono leaf and top of the knuckle best you can.

IMG_2871.jpg

Then just slide in the new spring pad.

IMG_1956.jpg

It should go in pretty easily. If not gently tap it with a hammer.

Then remove your jack after you get the spring pad seated properly. Make sure to lower it slowly.

Then put everything back together. Smooth side up and ridges down.

(Ohia)

Enjoy your w-body that doesn't moan, creak or, clunk going over bumps.

Just be careful doing this. What I mean is don't put your fingers under the mono leaf pad.

Edited by 94 olds vert

Are those in upside down? I installed mine and the ridges on the sides, not the three in the center, from what i was informed by a gm tech, is there to keep the block from sliding around.

Are those in upside down? I installed mine and the ridges on the sides, not the three in the center, from what i was informed by a gm tech, is there to keep the block from sliding around.

Yes they are upside down. It should be installed with the two sides clipped down on either side of the knuckle.

Yeah I noticed that lol. I looked at the 'vert after I did it and realized I did it wrong.

I dunno I thought for some reason the mono leaf went into the ridge on the pad. But that is wrong. Oops. No harm done. Already turned them the right way.

• 2 weeks later...

Moog Problem Solver Bulletin 25473

Moog Rear Transverse Spring Isolator Pads

GM Front-Drive W-Body 1988-1997

http://www.moogproblemsolver.com/_pdf_En/MOOG_PS_Bulletin_25473_K6544_En.pdf

• 4 months later...

i know this is an old thread, but im having problems getting the original rubber pad to let loose from the spring. Is there a better way rather than using a screwdriver as a chisel and hammer to get it out of there. I also find that my knuckle likes to follow the spring as i jack it up out of the way. Is there a way to hold it down (the knuckle i mean)?

If your knuckle is following, it's because your wood is too wide[insert joke here :lol:]

Make sure the piece of wood is ONLY pushing up the spring and not the arms.

If it still follows, it doesn't have much pressure on it and you can easily push it down with your foot.

i know this is an old thread, but im having problems getting the original rubber pad to let loose from the spring. Is there a better way rather than using a screwdriver as a chisel and hammer to get it out of there.

I wouldn't use a screwdriver; a chisel would be better--wider, sharper tip. Be careful, do not nick the spring.

I also find that my knuckle likes to follow the spring as i jack it up out of the way. Is there a way to hold it down (the knuckle i mean)?

Build/buy a spring compressor instead of jacking from the floor.

W-Spring01.jpg

W-Spring06.jpg

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/21004-Monoleaf-Pad-Thread-%28Part-Number-and-HowTo-Inside%29/page2

Post 58

Edited by Schurkey

^^^This is prolly what i will wind up doing. While the block of wood i was using was just as wide as the spring, i think i will just make use of my dads welder and make one of these. Sadly, its prolly the only time it will get used in the next 20 years lol

I wouldn't use a screwdriver; a chisel would be better--wider, sharper tip. Be careful, do not nick the spring.

Build/buy a spring compressor instead of jacking from the floor.

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/21004-Monoleaf-Pad-Thread-(Part-Number-and-HowTo-Inside)/page2

Post 58

That's a neat spring compressor you made there! I wish I had a shop... with a torch/welder... and of course knew how to use it... I did the jack thing myself. I used a screwdriver, and a really nice heavy duty Stanley scraper... thicker than average somewhat longer chrome blade and had a metal tab on the end of the handle so you could wack it with a hammer. Sure, it still took some work but I found it to work better than the various sized screw drivers I had. It really got between the rubber and metal pretty good.

I installed the Moog Spring Helpers along with the pads. Two Great Kits. I posted my project in another post around here somewhere. I've had a couple of mechanics and others provide positive comments and feedback on the Helpers.

post-6615-143689090576_thumb.jpg

Edited by 90V6RedHotLuminaEuro
Add Photo

I am talking about the blue things. I already got the other white plastic pads, but I could use the bump stops with my flex-a-form or whatever monoleaf drop spring possibly to make it more tough. or it may not fit because its a drop. :think:

but that would possibly shave some weight (instead of using birchmount steel springs which are good but heavy as hell) and be able to carry a load in the trunk without snapping the spring. or carrying 4 people in the car which can make it sag pretty good too.

Edited by Garrett Powered

horry crap! I haven't seen those yet!

those are monoleaf helpers? do they work good?

Ha! Yep! They work Great ...and relatively easy to install. Fortunately I had the help of an antique electric impact wrench to make the job a little easier.

Here's a link to the thread with the whole story, including where I got them, part numbers, Cost, pics of the kits and instructions... everything: http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/52679-Moog-K6000-Leaf-Spring-Helpers-and-Moog-K6544-Leaf-Spring-Pads

post-6615-143689090583_thumb.jpg

post-6615-14368909058_thumb.jpg

Edited by 90V6RedHotLuminaEuro
add pictures