What is this stupid thing even worth?

Red Nightmare

Well in another thread I said about the steering issues of the car.

I have been throwing around the idea of getting a newer car, but after today I pretty much told myself it was time to quit wasting time and money trying to keep this thing up.

It's problems -

Steering seems to be binding, par the inspection I got today.

sunroof doesn't work right.

Driver window comes off track unless you pull the window rearward when rolling up (has power windows)

A/C has a cut line and of course isn't working.

Needs tires, all of them have fix-a-flat and I have to air them up often.

Front bumper has minor damage on passenger side. Held together by screws and a piece of wood.

suspension is noisy and I have no clue why, I have looked at everything and tried tightening the bolts.

Power antenna gave out. It picks up radio but doesn't retract by itself anymore.

Keyless entry system is shot. Re-soldering the circuits helped at first but that didn't last.

This list doesn't include the things I have fixed in the past like the distributer cap leak, brakes, missing trip pieces I had to find at junkyard, antifreeze and power steering leaks...

I could fix all the above problems (well cept the A/C) but I really don't feel like it. this car is just nickel and diming me now.

The engine and transmission are in great shape though, even the timing belt has a lot of life left (yes I did a proper inspection). The engine does have problems stabilizing idle until it warms up in the winter but warm weather it is good.

So, when I sell this thing, I don't exactly plan on handing the next owner the above list, that would scare them.

What would this car even be worth? "Fair" private party on KBB says around $1,000 but I am not sure. Car has 200,000 miles and I imagine crap will keep giving out so I am done messing with it.

One thing though is a lot of the cars I see on CL around here, people seem to want close to $1,000 for crap that does not even start. This car does start every time and gets A to B and doesn't even overheat or anything.

Edited by Red Nightmare

Yeah, that's always a good thing to just not tell people shit that's wrong with a car...

If they do ask be honest!

One thing though is a lot of the cars I see on CL around here, people seem to want close to $1,000 for crap that does not even start.

Remember: Asking price is NOT the sale price. Some people are looking for suckers. Your car is wasted, got my '92 for $950 with some problems. (had to invest about $800 in it, half of that was for tires.) so I paid around $1750, not a good deal.

So as a buyer I would offer you $600. It is a '94, that is over 15 years old, approaching twenty years with many problems...

Generally when something is 20+ years old, I simply multiply the scrap yard value by 2, that's what it is worth...

Edited by Oilpatch197