2006 Monte headlight issue...

88red4cyl

So as I posted about the other day, I changed the low beam headlights in the Monte Carlo because the driver side burnt out (no big deal since this car uses the lows as the DRLs do they are on whenever the car is)... When I had the light assembly out to change the bulb, I had a hell of a time getting the bulb disconnected from the harness on the driver side. When I finally did get it apart, half the plug on the wiring harness was burnt, and the end was kind of melted some. So I put the new bulb in and all was well. Skip forward to today (2 days later), and the driver side low beam is out again...

So I guess what I need to know is, where do I start looking? Obviously something is burning the plug and is wrong somewhere... I'm not great with electrical stuff, so I'm not sure where to start here...

Thanks,

Will

Did it lose connection because of the burnt connector?

I've seen this before on GM's. Get a new pigtail/insulator for the headlight and wire it in.

Of course, pay attention to which wire goes where. I've repaired several of these and

installing a new connector takes care of it.

Did it lose connection because of the burnt connector?

I've seen this before on GM's. Get a new pigtail/insulator for the headlight and wire it in.

Of course, pay attention to which wire goes where. I've repaired several of these and

installing a new connector takes care of it.

So I just need to cut off the old connector and wire on a new end? What would cause it to do this (is it going to do it again)?

• 1 month later...
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Solder in a new connector off a j/y car, use plenty of dielectric grease, and see what happens!

Bumpity!! Still haven't gotten this fixed yet... Would any W's connector work, or would I need to specifically get one from an 06+Impala/Monte?

Good to know Al.. I tried fixing up the old connector today (I filed off the burnt spots on the metal contacts as best as I could, and sanded off the deformed part of the connector sticking up by the metal.. Still didn't work though.. I'll have to swing by Auto Zone tomorrow after work and hopefully get this fixed...

So I just need to cut off the old connector and wire on a new end? What would cause it to do this (is it going to do it again)?

I didn't see part of this answered, so here ya go...

Bad/loose/dirty connections can add substantial resistance. Resistance causes heat, and so enough added resistance could melt the connector possibly.

I didn't see part of this answered, so here ya go...

Bad/loose/dirty connections can add substantial resistance. Resistance causes heat, and so enough added resistance could melt the connector possibly.

Thanks! I went to Auto Zone, and 7.99 later I have a new connector... It looks totally different than the one I have, but it says its for the right bulb, and its what their computer said.. Now I'm just waiting on the wife to get home so I can wire this new one in...

I've learned the HARD WAY you want to use a crimp pliers tool and bare crimp connectors and heat shrink tubing to install a new plug. You do not want water/salt to get to the wire strands.

I got it fixed! Now the car has two working headlights instead of just one! :dance: The stupid connector is much bigger than the old one though, so you have to install/remove the connector from the headlight while its still in the housing. Otherwise it won't clear the lip of the hole...