Lube underbody contact points!?!

TheDeacon

So according to the owners manual, I'm suppose to "Lube underbody contact points." I'm assuming this also refers to "chassis lubrication."

I'll be honest, I have no idea what this means or how to do this. I'm not even sure if my car has grease fittings.

Information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Pictures would be even better.

A write up with all the above would be awesome! :D

1995 Pontiac Grand Prix SE, 3.1 V6

If the suspension is still stock, then the parts are "sealed" and don't need to be lubricated. If the ball joints and tie rods have been replaced, then they will have grease fittings. That bit of info in the manuals is basically a copy of the information from all the others that actually have greasable suspensions from the factory.

Chassis lubrication just keeps some of the moving parts from binding or wearing as quick. Typical points on a lot of cars are the ball joints on the suspension, the steering tie rod ends, and maybe other places.

Well at the ends of the tie rods are the only lube points I found on my GP.

Basically what you have is like these nipple looking things sticking out of the center. Go to autzone's website and search for "grease fittings" and see what they look like.

Anyways you would need a grease gun. I found a miniature one that came with a tube of grease for like $16 at autozone. you just have to do some minor assembly.

First clean up the grease fitting a bit to rid extra dirt/oil

So find like a punch to make sure the ball at the center of the grease fitting will depress a bit, and then attach the grease gun and pull the grease gun lever a few times, when you see grease start to ooze out of the rubber seal, it is full.

You may have to pry the grease gun nozzle off the fitting.

It is a simple job but can be a pain in the ass.

If you do not want to go thru all this headache, you can take the car to jiffy lube and they charge I think $10 to do only a lube.