What is this Wire & Connector for?

90V6RedHotLuminaEuro

1990 Chevrolet Lumina Euro Coupe V6 3.1

I have 3 Connectors under my hood, not connected to anything, that I would like to identify. There are no devices nearby to connect them to or associate them with... or maybe I'm not seeing something.

2 connectors on the passenger side have Yellow and Brown wires attached. 1 pair I found up by the alternator with a broken connector. 1 pair was found down near, and laying on top of the AC compressor.

The next pair of wires, Orange & Black with connector, I found on the drivers side near the master cylinder.

Professional assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John B.

post-6615-143689078393_thumb.jpg

post-6615-143689078408_thumb.jpg

post-6615-143689078421_thumb.jpg

One looks like hood light, one maybe looks a magnasteer connector, and the other I'm not sure about.

Right! ...the hood light... it's right there above it... sheesh! ...I'm pretty sure this car never had a Magnasteer... It had at least 3 previous owners. The guy I got it from said the engine was swapped out long ago. Maybe the engine and harness on my engine came from a car that had Magnasteer. I have the Haynes manual and schematics but they haven't been much help with this one. I'll browse through it again now that you gave me a lead.

It may not be a necessary wire... but I just want to make sure things are going where they need to be going, and if the wires are unnecessary... then I'd like to just clip them short and cap them off.

Right! ...the hood light... it's right there above it... sheesh! ...I'm pretty sure this car never had a Magnasteer... It had at least 3 previous owners. The guy I got it from said the engine was swapped out long ago. Maybe the engine and harness on my engine came from a car that had Magnasteer. I have the Haynes manual and schematics but they haven't been much help with this one. I'll browse through it again now that you gave me a lead.

It may not be a necessary wire... but I just want to make sure things are going where they need to be going, and if the wires are unnecessary... then I'd like to just clip them short and cap them off.

No, your car was likely just prewired for magnasteer, even if it didn't have it. My base-ass 1996 Grand Prix Sedan had the wire for magnasteer as well.

As for the hood light, you're not the first person to wonder where that plug went ;)

Follow Up & Correction: I was working on the car yesterday, replacing the power steering pump and water pump... and straightening out the wiring which had been crushed under the power steering pump reservoir... I peeled back the harness on that Yellow and Brown wire... low and behold... it's really a Yellow and PURPLE wire... I still don't know what it is/was for. Ps. things are looking better under the hood... and sounding/running better... I did a Lucas Fuel Treatment, Valvoline Hi-Mi Oil Change, Slick 50 Advanced, Fram TG (anti-drainback) Filter, new dog bones... have a question about the motor mount I think I'll post separately... solid or hydraulic which is preferred and why... new rear struts... front struts enroute from ebay... rear struts were I think the original 21 year olds... full of water... more...

Solid motor mount, if you can find it.

Hydraulic has the tendency to fail faster.

There's plenty to be found at AutoZone, Advance, and/or Ebay... what I want to know is why are there two types... what did the car come with from the factory, and why... is there a difference in vibration transfer... seems a solid mount would be more rigid, with less shock absorbtion... where as I believe a hydraulic mount, a softer more flexible application with a smoother feel... maybe less jerkiness... I'm not sure... and what about the lifespan... how much more longevity would a solid mount give over a hydraulic mount do you think?

I wish I could do a taste test with these things... I'd like to have less vibration, smoother feel... whichever mount will provide that... I'm sure either will be fine regarding longevity... The car won't be raced or even driven heavily.

Iirc, stock is hydraulic. Should be less vibrations felt by the operator. However, as posted on this forum time and time again, the hydraulic replacemnts have a super short lifespan.

The solid rubber mounts, you will feel more vibration. However, lifespan is a ton longer, again as posted by people who have used both mount types.

No matter which you choose, you are bound to have an improvement over your current blown out mount.

yeah... I'll do solid... as recommended by the experienced... took a look at it again earlier... even with the new dog bones... the motor when running seems like it's sitting on a marshmallow... maybe when it was new, and all the other rubber on the car was new... then hydraulic might have been acceptable... but 21 years later... I'll be doing the transaxial mount as well. Thanks for the assistance.

John B.