Highbeam issue

bluebirdvision

1999 Buick Regal LS 3.8L

When the headlights are on (either by the switch or the twilight sentinel) the high beams automatically turn on. If I pull back the directional stalk (it does click) the indicator on the dash dims slightly, I THINK the high beams get slightly dimmer but it does not switch to low beams.

Any ideas? My Uncle said there may be some sort of rod that controls the high beams that needs adjusting. I hope its not the stalk itself as its $300 thru NAPA.

Thanks,

bbvision

Sounds as tho the dimmer switch has failed.

It is indeed located right in the stalk.

You can bypass the switch with a jumper at the harness lower down the column, yellow should be the feed (A3),

with the headlight switch ON ...jumper to the tan wire (A2), the lows should come on...now jumper A3 to green (A1), the highs should come on.

If doing this gets the lights on then the dimmer has failed.

The stalk assembly is a little less expensive at Rockauto. You can more than likely find a good one in a salvage yard. Take a battery with you to power any Buick of the same vintage with that same switch you find to test the lights/dimmer.

Edited by 55trucker

• 3 weeks later...

I fixed the problem for free. Found a foot switch up by the firewall, that controls the high beams. It was turned on. Funny thing is, once i turned the foot switch off, the turn signal stalk works correctly and I can activate/deactivate the high beams