Random question.. what do I call these things?

EviLette

Vertical door handles.

The two nuts on them that split open and you have to squeeze back down that thread onto the posts that hold the outside door handle onto the door itself... I lost one of them, and its annoying me to tears.

What do I call them, and where can I find them besides hunting a salvage yard?

Do you mean like this, only they're cheap, and made from stamped steel? Acorn nut. Sorry, did this in a hurry, and the pic didn't work.

Hex nut, with rounded dome-type top?

Edited by Galaxie500XL

Go to Lowes or a hardware store and get Thread Cutting Nuts, they work exactly like what you`re describing and hold better and last longer. I use 1/4in stud-7/16 hex size (its on the bag) and they only cost about 60 cents for a bag of 4. Dont bother with a salvage yard for those little black things. You can find these where they keep all the nuts and bolts at in the hardware dept. Hope this helps, ive become a door handle replacement expert with these vertical door handles:thumbsup: I know all the tricks i hope.

Looks like I am stuck going to a salvage yard. The hardware store down the street told me nothing like that exists, and nobody could find anything proper at Lowes.

Of course, maybe they just wanted to get me out of the store because I'm waddling like I'm about to pop!

Wierd that you couldn't find anything. I had no problem getting them at the hardware store.

How many you need? I may have some orignals I grabbed at the yard from a door handle I bought.