Interior lighting problem in the 91

9lumina6

My interior lights will not go out in the 91. Yes, I've checked the dome light switch...it was not all the way up. If I sit in the car and turn the key on....the lights will all go out, but if I exit the car....the lights will just stay on. Went into the store for about 15 minutes and came out to find them still on just to be sure I wasn't crazy or something. I did pull the Ctsy. Fuse in the glove box as a temporary fix to prevent the battery from being drained. I'm not too sure what to look for with this???

Some things I might want to point out.

-Did notice that the bulb to illuminate the drivers floor is out

-There was an absolute monsoon today...poured extremely hard for a good hour....and I did drive this car to work today, and went on my break during the storm....so maybe the door being opened during the downpour got something wet and it shorted out???

This would happen on and off in my 95 Cutlass. Each door has a switch in the door jam somewhere to tell the car if the door is closed or not. If one of these switches goes bad, the car will think the door is always open/closed, leading to the lights to remain on, or never come on. I replaced the switch on my 95, which happened to be the passenger rear, and it all went well. Again this is what happened to me... not sure if it's the same situation for you. You could try pressing all the switches/button ALL the way in on each door and see if that does anything. Sometimes they may just get stuck

Well....I know the switch is getting pushed in all the way because if the door is closed and the key is on......they go out. With no key and the door closed...they stay on .

Hmm, well that is the only thing I am aware it could be... like I said the same thing happened to me, I always had my fuse out until I got it fixed. Not sure how you would diagnose which door it could be either.

Yeah see what they think, I mean I think there would only be a couple maybe a few components that would make it do that... BUT... who knows, let me know what they say im curious

I had the same thing, I forget which switch it was on mine, but I just put a washer behind it and it fixed it. That was over 2 years ago and it's still working great.

Problem went away on it's own. Put the fuse back in on my lunch break today to see what would happen.....lights go out as they should after a few seconds. Something must have gotten damp from yesterday's rainstorm when I was opening and closing the door...and just needed to dry out in the sun today.

Keep an eye out...had this happen to my '95, the door handle was dying, and making the car think the exterior door handle was pulled, even though the door was closed. It went away permanently when I replaced the door handle.

Keep an eye out...had this happen to my '95, the door handle was dying, and making the car think the exterior door handle was pulled, even though the door was closed. It went away permanently when I replaced the door handle.

Yeah, I've been checking it every time now...haha. I'll definately watch it.

Problem went away on it's own. Put the fuse back in on my lunch break today to see what would happen.....lights go out as they should after a few seconds. Something must have gotten damp from yesterday's rainstorm when I was opening and closing the door...and just needed to dry out in the sun today.

Definitely be careful, if it's something faulty I wouldn't trust it. The one time mine started working by its self so I payed no mind to it, and then one night there were on ALL night ;)