Air bag light came on

Mel87

Well out of no where a couple mornings ago I went to let the car run for a minute before I went to work, as normal I just go outside start it up and go back in the house to finish getting ready, yes I know, "FREE CAR" haha but anyways, I come back out and notice the Air Bag light on the dash is lit. So I turned the car off and started it back up, and yet the light still comes on and stays on. I tried checking the fuse, fuse is good, I tried resetting the fuse, nothing... The light still comes on. Any clue as to what this might be?

I know this might sound ironic coming from me (since I didn't want to take my car in for my electrical gremlin...) but if my airbag light came on I'd take it into a shop that has a scanner to read it. I wouldn't want to risk getting in an accident and having it not deploy, or having it deploy while driving.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you though...

Airbags are just one of the things I wouldn't want to neglect. If you're in an accident (hopefully you aren't) you'd really wish you would have gotten it taken care of!

Yeah hopefully nothing will happen...

Only recent work is I had it emission control tested, since it's a 97, it's got OBD... and they did plug a thing in somewhere under the dash. But that was about 2 weeks ago, and the light just came on Monday.

I think your best bet is to have it looked at at a dealership. Let them tell you what the problem is, then if it is a defective bag, or sensor, you can fix it yourself. Junkyard air bag parts are dirt cheap, because insurance companies won't use them to fix wrecked cars. I know, I am a retired insurance appraiser. Anyway, the system is just about idiot proof. I have bought and fixed many cars with blown bags, replaced the required components, and then the light goes out, and the system will work if you are in an accident. I would guess that one of the sensors has gone bad. Your car ( and mine, as I also have a 97 Coupe) has a sensor under the passenger seat that sometimes goes bad. Even if you choose to use new parts, most of the sensors are a hundred bucks or so. The bags are extremely expensive, and like I said, if they have not deployed they are most likely fine, so go with the junkyard bag. Good luck.

The air bag Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM) is under the passenger front seat aluminum box with yellow connector.

Double check fuses 11, 21, and 39 and make sure the Yellow wiring connector on the SDM is plugged in tight.

You said there is a sensor under the passenger seat right? Is it easy to access?
Yes it is. It is inside the car, under the passenger side bucket seat. It is about the size of a paperback book. Any airbag components have yellow wires coming to and from them, making them easy to see. If you go to the dealer for the diagnosis, be sure to ask exactly which component is bad; there are several, and you need to know which one it is to make your repair. If you attempt to repair it yourself, make sure that you disconnect the battery, both positive and negative, and wait 10 minutes before touching the sensors or bags. This is what the factory recommends. I did bags in a 4 door Cutlass 5 or so years ago, and I think all I needed was the bags, and the sensor under the seat. I can't remember for sure, but once I replaced the recommended parts the light was out. By the way, the light will never go out unless the system is safe and correct. Any body shop will tell you that used air bag stuff is fine because, like I said, if something is wrong the light will not go out.