LQ1 5-speed oil cooler?

crazyd

I swapped a '95 LQ1 into my '92 during its restoration, but I didn't take the oil cooler off my old '92 motor. I wish I had, because I keep wearing out my oil prematurely and getting the tapping noise from the valvetrain after barely 2000 miles. I tried going to synthetic 5W-30 but that only bought me 5000 miles. Checked RockAuto but they only have an oil cooler for the 4sp auto, not the 5sp manual. Does anyone here have one laying around?

• 4 weeks later...
I swapped a '95 LQ1 into my '92 during its restoration, but I didn't take the oil cooler off my old '92 motor. I wish I had, because I keep wearing out my oil prematurely and getting the tapping noise from the valvetrain after barely 2000 miles. I tried going to synthetic 5W-30 but that only bought me 5000 miles. Checked RockAuto but they only have an oil cooler for the 4sp auto, not the 5sp manual. Does anyone here have one laying around?

How many miles do you intend to drive on an oil change? Synthetic doesnt mean you can safely go 5000 miles unless its a car with a newer engine that has a recommended change interval that high. Our older engines contaminate the oil hence even with synthetic which hasnt really broke down at 3000 miles, but still needs changed due to contaminates in the oil.

How many miles do you intend to drive on an oil change? Synthetic doesnt mean you can safely go 5000 miles unless its a car with a newer engine that has a recommended change interval that high. Our older engines contaminate the oil hence even with synthetic which hasnt really broke down at 3000 miles, but still needs changed due to contaminates in the oil.

I don't do any driving that would put the car into the "extreme" conditions for the 3000-mile change as specified in the 1992 owner's manual, so the normal interval is 7500 miles - on dino-oil. Synthetic should be ok to at least 10k.

Edited by crazyd

I don't do any driving that would put the car into the "extreme" conditions for the 3000-mile change as specified in the 1992 owner's manual, so the normal interval is 7500 miles - on dino-oil. Synthetic should be ok to at least 10k.

Enjoy replacing the engine at that rate.....

I do 5000 mile oil changes with synthetic. the oil cooler might help extend the oil life, but I think you are WAY out of the ball park with what you consider an oil change interval...

Guys, I'd be happy if I just saw 3000 miles out of a regular dino-oil change, but this thing breaks down its oil in half that and starts with the clackety lifters. I don't know if it's because I tend to rev out my gears longer than an automatic would, but that oil cooler was there for a reason and it makes a difference.