Door mounted seatbelts

emb1230

Am I the only one that HATES them? I highly doubt it! The ones in this Regal are always cutting me at the neck. I know they're meant to be left buckled all the time, but I've NEVER seen anyone use them that way. However, in a way, similar to electric ones, they do kind of make sense on 2 doors vehicles.

Edited by emb1230

I love them. Plus you throw in the fact that 1G seatbacks simply push forward and back and there is no 2 door easier to get in and out of the back seat in.

I recently borrowed my Aunt's Celebrity that has them and I loved it.but then again, I unbuckled to get out of the car. Force of habit with the Z34. I like it because it's different. But I'm also the guy who wouldn't hesitate to buy anything metallic orange or metallic purple...

And.....what's wrong with that? :lol:

whenever I mention that, it usually genuinely scares people. Then followed by them backing away slowly and calling me a scary unemotional freak

I recently borrowed my Aunt's Celebrity that has them and I loved it.but then again, I unbuckled to get out of the car. Force of habit with the Z34. I like it because it's different. But I'm also the guy who wouldn't hesitate to buy anything metallic orange or metallic purple...

Trust me, nobody doesn't unbuckle it. Hell, the damn things will try to pull the door shut if somebody actually does try and use it that way.

Door-mounted seat belts were just GM's way of avoiding the expense of Explosive Devices (air bags) or motorized shoulder straps.

It's a GREAT way to avoid the bullshit of airbags. Makes for shitty seat belts, but as an airbag avoidance item, well worth it.

Door-mounted seat belts were just GM's way of avoiding the expense of Explosive Devices (air bags) or motorized shoulder straps.

It's a GREAT way to avoid the bullshit of airbags. Makes for shitty seat belts, but as an airbag avoidance item, well worth it.

Yeah, I recently learned that myself, wondered why GM took so long to put air bags in cars, i thought starting in 1994 all cars had to have them, but I guess it turns out that they just needed to have a passive restraint system of some sort.

Yeah, I recently learned that myself, wondered why GM took so long to put air bags in cars, i thought starting in 1994 all cars had to have them, but I guess it turns out that they just needed to have a passive restraint system of some sort.

It actually started in 1990. Thats why you see Caprices with them, because rather than putting an airbag in the old model, they used the door seatbelts to passify that requirement until they rolled out the 91s.

I couldnt stand my door mounted seatbelts on my old 94 Cutlass, I love the 95 seatbelts so much more. Im not getting strangled if someone decides to open my door either to get into the backseat. I also know my old door seatbelts tore the shit out of my door panels from the angled tension, HATED them so your not the only one lol

Ford was early to the game with air bags, I've had a few over the years, my 90 Taurus had a driver's airbag, my mom's 93 Cougar had no airbags but had those awful electric seat belts.

Trust me, nobody doesn't unbuckle it. Hell, the damn things will try to pull the door shut if somebody actually does try and use it that way.

ya i never actually used it hte way gm meant it to be by leaving it buckeled in, such a waste of time, pain, blood and money, i jsut do it as anyother seatbelt

I LOVE the door mounted belts. Mainly because the lab belt retracts as well. I will say it's nearly impossible to use it the way it was intended. Lol.

I'd take door mounted belts years before electric belts. Plus, as mentioned, much easier to get into the back seat. And no stupid plastic belt guide for it to get all twisted in.

Door mounted >>> Standard mounted >>> Motorized

motorized belts would be sweet in something like a tgp, more gadgets.

I suppose I am fairly biased... The only real reason they are so annoying to me is because I am in/out of the festiva about 10 times per minute. Plus it locks and ACTUALLY chokes me if I open the door if I'm not 100% stopped.... like for real straight up chokes me. Scary shit. AND it's annoying to wait for every single time.

I never realised you were supposed to not unbuckle them and have never used them that way. I love 'em but I'm used to buckling\unbuckling every time I get in\out. When you close the door it's right there where your hand is. The ones that attach to the seat with that crappy little clip I have to turn my whole body just to reach it.

I never realised you were supposed to not unbuckle them and have never used them that way. I love 'em but I'm used to buckling\unbuckling every time I get in\out. When you close the door it's right there where your hand is. The ones that attach to the seat with that crappy little clip I have to turn my whole body just to reach it.

This.

I never knew you were supposed to leave them buckled either untill i saw some of the old Motorweek episodes where they review the early w-bodys. Needless to say I never have used them that way. The one in the TGP always rub against my neck, very annoying.

I think I've left mine buckled twice, just to say I've tried it. Regardless of if you use that feature or not, as mentioned they are perfectly placed and in easy reach when you close the door.