R&R Blower Motor - 92 GP - help? lol

EviLette

So... on 08.07.11 I was able to coerce Brian (PONTIAC6KSTEAWD) to replace the dead blower motor in my Precious (92 GP SE.) It was the factory blower motor.

Two days ago, the new blower motor literally blew up. Like, it was running and I heard this huge crash under the dash from that area, and it stopped blowing and started grinding. Figures.

At any rate, I've spent the last couple of days now trying to track down the warranty information for the part, and was able to finally get that info, so I can swap it out.

The problem now? I'm not sure how to do it. I was watching, so I think the job is likely mostly self-explanatory, but are there any key points I need to know? I will have to pull the seat to do this, there is no way my preggo butt (due in 25 days) is going to be able to contort myself to get under there with the seat still in....

I replaced the heater-A/C blower motor in my '92 Lumina about a year ago. (Maybe two? Time flies when I'm having fun.)

1. Most blower motors are made in China. Were selling for ~$60 or so at that time.

2. AC-Delco motors cost three times what the Chinese motors go for. I think mine was $160 + California sales tax.

3. They look exactly the same, except the Delco motor had a "Made in Canada" sticker on it instead of the "Made in China" sticker. Doesn't mean they're the same inside, though.

4. Despite Delco advertising that they sell EXACT replacements, the Delco--and the junk Chinese motors--not only looked different, but even the fan was different.

Not a hard job. Not much tool clearance, and not much space to wiggle the old motor/fan out of position. I did this in my Dad's driveway, almost 2,000 miles from my tool box...so I first went to Sears to buy 1/4" drive finger-tip/palm ratchet, extensions, and a socket. Had a 1/4" U-Joint with me.

I don't remember if I took off the kickpanel. I know the fan 'n' motor just barely cleared the kickpanel area. [Later Edit] Yeah, I must have pulled the kickpanel, 'cause I'm sure I peeled back the carpet and underlay for additional clearance.

I of course did not remove the seat due to the lack of pregnancy on my part. I had an adoptive mother who explained childbirth to me:

Drink two beers...

...now sh!t a watermelon.

You have my sympathies.

Edited by Schurkey

Have baby...... send baby under the dash to do it?

Pull passenger seat and lay a blanket down on the floor so its a bit more comfortable.

Pull plastic under dash shield. (usually 2-3 screws / clips)

There might by an electrical junction box that is also screwed to the heater box which you may have to unscrew and push aside before being able to get at the 3 7mm screws holding the blower motor in place.

Thanks guys. :) I have to swap out the torque struts today, but those are pie.... i was scared I'd have to dig into my trunk and get behind the speakerbox to find my ratchet come-along to roll the motor (or hold it in place while swapping one dogbone at a time) but at some point in the past I was smart and put it in the milk crate i keep the rest of the fluids in :D

The scary part is the blower motor. I'm halfway expecting that someone will see me down there doing it and take pity on me. LOL

The screws on the electrical box are fucking with me. Hardcore. 6mm is too big, 5mm is too small. And it has to come off because part of it is screwed in to the housing of the fan . its goddamn hot out there.

So... Advanced went ahead and warrantied out the part, but the guy said they wouldn't honor the warranty again because it wasn't a manufacturer defect.

As I thought when I said the damn thing "blew up" well it did. The squirrel cage on it shattered. The guy at the parts desk was telling me that something got inside the system... mice or something, which caused it to blow up. This is bullcrap and I know it - the factory one came out looking brand new with nary a tine missing off the cage, and my vents aren't open. No way. It got hot from sitting, and the heat weakened the plastic. Or it was just weak plastic. I told him I didn't care.

Problem now? There's the rest of a squirrel cage floating around in my ventilation system and I have no idea how to get it all out.

-----

Talked to mechanic friend. He advised to just dig out everything i can reach,and if its dropped down further then its not going to get sucked back in - too heavy. As soon as I cool off, I'm gonna go get the SOB stuck in there.

Edited by EviLette
additional info

I cleaned everything out.... as soon as I got it in and turned it on it blew up again....

Now I'm out the part, I'm out the warranty and I still don't have it fixed and I can hardly walk from that angle... couldn't get the seat out. It took me an hour and a half to get it in... and it blew up as soon as i turned on the air...

Edited by EviLette

Pretty obvious that this is a case of the dreaded FOD (Foreign Object Damage)

Yank it back out, dig out whatever is interfering with the fan. A flashlight and inspection mirror would be helpful.

Any chance you can install a new fan on your new motor? Seems to me they're not intended to be separated...but a little ingenuity might go a long way. Might be that parts are not available separately.

Nope, they come as a unit. And I did clean it out before I put the new one in. I spent like 40 minutes digging around inside of there, the only place anything could've gone was into the box behind the heater core, and my knuckles are shaved from the heater core. There was nothing in there when I put the new one in. I can't pull it apart again. I can't replace it again. I can barely walk now.

And the part's no longer under warranty. And I can't afford to buy the part right now. And I wont be able to afford it in two weeks or two months either, not with a kid on the way. FML. :(

I have a blower motor that I know fits 94-97 Cutlass. If someone can verify it fits your GP, PM me your address and I'll send it to you.

It does.

Yeah, I figured that out eventually. I had to bust out a set of tools that I've never used before to find a wrench that small.. yes, I had to use a wrench, because I don't have a socket that small. :(