Headlights flash when brake is applied

bronze93

Its a weak electrical system. My car has done this for years... it could be a weak battery or alternator, or could be all the wiring under the hood is just old and degraded and so not carrying current as strongly as it once did.

Test the alternator and battery.... if they are good, you may have to go through and replace all the main power wires under the hood. Should fix the problem.

At least, that's what I've read after years on this forum lol.

Might be something draining the power, but who knows. Could be one of the aforementioned culprits. Or a stereo system amplifier pulling too much juice. :D

Well I hopped in the car to go to 7-Eleven put the key in and tried to start. It tried to start and then everything shut completely off. So I thought dead battery. Connected the charger to positive post and bolt for strut as I always do. Charger says it is not connected. Tried various grounding locations and nothing. Finally tried the negative post and it connected and started charging. After a couple minutes all power was restored to the car even though the battery wasn't dead. Started checking all the grounds from the battery and found that the negative side mount battery post was loose. Is there any way to keep them from loosening?