Noisy power steering fix for 1st gen?

crazyd

My power steering pump makes a loud whiny sound that I haven't been able to get rid of. The more I turn the wheel and the higher the revs the louder and higher-pitched the whine is, so for example going fast around an onramp makes it scream like a whore. It's much louder when the A/C is on.

Done the PS pump and the rack, but it still does it. WTF???

Sure it isn't the A/C compressor?

My '94 convertible sounded like it had a PS pump whine and it was the compressor.

I have the same problem. People told me hear that it was the compressor too. So a new compressor later it still whines.

I've went through multiple new power steering pumps. Remans and junkyard pumps. My current one is out of a 94 GTP that had 45k and the power steering still whines.

I've replaced the rack twice and put all new power steering lines in it. Rubber and hard lines. Was on a Ford forum they told me to flush it out and add some Lucas power steering fluid to it. Did that and it still whines. Then I went back to regular fluid.

I've bled the system just like the manual says and it will still whines. I wonder how bad it will be this winter. Last winter the whine was really bad. It hasn't been really cold since I got this GTP pump.

So far I really haven't found a fix for this. If I do I will let you know. In the mean time I just tell people it's supercharged. Works for me.

I think a lot of the whine could be caused by the pumps pressure valve and spring set.

My 96 Regal 3800 has had the PS whine since new. I tried replacing it with a rebuilt pump but that changed nothing.

Pulled a pump off a 98 Lumina with a 3800 and this pump is almost silent. The only thing I notice besides the lack of whine is less power steering in a parking lot.

I'd be looking at the tensioner pulley/bearing.

True enough, the PS pump/relief valve can whine, and it would change pitch with rpm or perhaps with steering load...

...but if it changes with A/C on or off, I'd be looking elsewhere. Realistically, it could be ANY of the accessories driven by that belt, but the tensioner would be my first inspection.

How does the BELT look?

Well I guess it's good to hear I'm not the only one. Belt is brand new. Compressor has also been replaced. The pump I have in there now came from a 95 M/C, but I might try one from a 98 next time I'm at the yard.