Gen 1.5 Lumina/MC

emb1230

the front suspension stayed the same. they are mechanically different from 2nd gens otherwise as well. They are much closer to 1st gens than they are 2nd gens. Not sure about the powertrain differences.

That's weird, my grandfather's '90 had the 3.1 but his '95 had the 3100 (I heard that the '93 CS was the first to get the 3100, don't know if that's true or not). Plus the 95 had the traditional circular GM steering column. I think it's cool how basically everything BUT the doors was the same on a Monte Carlo. I kinda wanted to turn the 95 into a Lumina Carlo but never got the chance to :(

Well 1.5 gens had the 3100(L82) and 3.4. The 3.4 lasted up till 97 then in 1998 the 3800 was introduced. Then in 2000 the 3100 (LG8) was introduced. It is the second generation of the Lumina. 90-94 was the first gen. Then the second gen was 95-01. But on the w-body platform it is the 1.5 gen.

Well 1.5 gens had the 3100(L82) and 3.4. The 3.4 lasted up till 97 then in 1998 the 3800 was introduced. Then in 2000 the 3100 (LG8) was introduced. It is the second generation of the Lumina. 90-94 was the first gen. Then the second gen was 95-01. But on the w-body platform it is the 1.5 gen.
Right. I remeber how they switched to the 3800 because it made similar power and was MUCH easier to work on AND was more reliable. I hate how people say all Z34's had the 3.4 (LQ1) because it's not true, 98 & 99's had the 3800.

The LQ1 wasn't necessarily unreliable, just had retarded owners. My LQ1 Monte has been in the family since 10,000 miles, now at 126-127,000 and I've had no unsuspected maintenance. Everything that's gone wrong has been expected. Actually, it's one of the more reliable cars my family's ever had.

When my timing belt went on the cutlass it was because one of the idler pulleys sheared off of the center. I insisted on replacing the other one as well, even though my dad kept telling me "don't do that, the other one is still fine". I know if one went, the other wasn't too far behind

I may be wrong, but I believe anything with the 3100 had the 4T60e, and the 3800 had the 4t65e. I know we discussed that apparently some early '95s even came with the 3t60e, but that was pretty rare. Not sure what any 3.4s came with though...

I may be wrong, but I believe anything with the 3100 had the 4T60e, and the 3800 had the 4t65e. I know we discussed that apparently some early '95s even came with the 3t60e, but that was pretty rare. Not sure what any 3.4s came with though...

My Z34 was built August 7, 1994 and has the 4T60e...

It was optional. Me and Saar were able to find a few examples of some that were equipped with a 3 speed.

WTFF (What the Flying F*&^?)

I have the 1995 brochure for all 1995 models, and it says they came with a 4 speed auto only.

Yeah he found some diagrams or something for a Lumina that would have been equipped with it. It took me a while of Googling, but I was able to find a couple... I'll see if I can again.

Yeah, if I had to guess they were probably either fleet cars or GM test cars used before they were available to the public or something.... I can't seem to find any right now. Last time I was able to find a link to one at an auction.

Fleet cars are the weirdest optioned cars. And it's because they're not bought by the public, but rather a clueless pencil pusher who thinks "OOOH! This option makes it cheaper!"