A futuristic look at an old design....

Starflare5

Hey there,

Just thought I'd share something with you guys. Now we all know that the Cutlass Supreme has a long lineage, but, did you know that the Gen 1 W-body Cutlass Supreme was used as a concept car as well? Now, if any of you remember the '80s, you should remember that Oldsmobile came up with this concept vehicle known as the Aerotech series. Now most have seen pictures of the Aerotechs I and II which basically looked like an indy racer with a curvy body on it, but, did you know that there was an Aerotech III?

The Aerotech III, which was the last in the series and built in 1989, was basically a 4 door Cutlass Supreme with the nose of an Oldsmobile Intrigue and a very cool looking tail end. The car also had a 240 HP Quad 4/Twin Cam engine and a Cutlass Supreme International Interior. Many of the body features were put into future Cutlass Supremes as well as the H.O Quad 4 engine, however, the nose was mostly saved for the Oldsmobile Intrigue, however, became a dealer option package to change out/add on known simply as "Aerotech" or, "Aerotech III". This option was usually at the bottom of the list or in small type, and so, was often missed, plus, back then, not many Oldsmobile customer's appreciated the package look, and, therefore, it faded into the lost GM files of the past.

The cubed headamps were also dropped in the actual production.

I know today, that if we could find this package, that most of us would do it. I only saw one Cutlass Supreme several years ago in a junk yard with the "Aerotech" package, and, if I could have had the time and money, I would have taken that home.

Here's a look at this concept:

http://encyclopedia.classicoldsmobile.com/concept/aero3.html

http://wikicars.org/en/Oldsmobile_Aerotech_III

And a little more info on the very cool concept:

http://history.gmheritagecenter.com/wiki/index.php/Oldsmobile_Aerotech_III

Anyway, thought I'd let you all in on a piece of W-body history that might have been forgotten.

Starflare5.

Edited by Starflare5
More Info

And a 5 speed!

The fact that it has mini quads "mini cubes" is just really cool. The center console that stretches from the front to rear buckets is cool. Wish mine had some thing like that. The rear seats also recline that is really cool.

A back up system that alerts you in 1989 must of been really advanced for it's time.

i found an image of that car a long time ago and it was the background on my computer for a while. I had no idea it could have been on my cutlass, thats like the only option i dont have lol damn

I like the front 3/4 view, but not really fond of the back end. However with a blown Quad-4 HO and a 5-spd I don't give a damn what that end looks like... :gears: The back end would only matter to the other guy.. :D