Revised 2012 Chevrolet Impala to net 30 MPG

Z34guy

..and now even the base model Impala will have almost as much as the 06-08 SS. I actually like the styling of the current Impalas..hopefully the re-design will look good.

Man, if ever I have to swap the engine on my car again that 3600 is the candidate. What a motor - 302 hp/252tq at 30mpg?!?! Mated to the 284, that would be a joy. Should be quite a few appearing in the junkyards in the next few years, hopefully it won't be too complicated to squeeze into a 1st gen...

When I first heard of the 3.6 in the Impala's, I thought *drool* then I realized it wasn't the first time the 3.6 twin cam was offered in the W-body's... It's just had alot of updates since then. Still think the Impala is a more appealing package than the Lacrosse ever was.

[video=youtube;dWe2gc8u3mw]

How are they bragging about 30 MPG with the 3.6?

My mom's '06 3500 will get 34 on the highway...

but does that 3500 have 300+ horsepower? No. It doesn't.

Heck, even the optional 3.9-liter V6 could only muster 230 horsepower.

Wrong, it could muster 242 horsepower on active intake models such as my mothers 06 Impy. The 3900 also has about the flattest torque curve possible. They make power everywhere. 3900 Impalas are far from underpowered especially for such a big car. But that's new car rags for ya. They also completely neglect to mention that the 2012 Impala is getting a six-speed automatic for 2012. That's the real reason for the fuel economy improvement, not the LLT.

IIRC, bellhousing between 3600 and 3500/3900 changed, so it would be difficult to tell.

I believe the Pontiac G6 had all those engines available, and all with the same or similar transmissions. I know the 3900 and the 3600 were both available with the same basic 6 speed manual in that car.

3.6 never had the 6 speed manual in a FWD application.

I could've sworn the 3600 G6 GXP had a 6 speed manual. I know the 3900 G6 GTP did.

At the time of Pontiac's demise, the G6's engine lineup included a base 2.4-liter four (164 horsepower), a 3.5-liter V6 (219 hp), a 3.9-liter V6 available on the convertible only (222 hp) and the GXP's 3.6-liter V6 (252 hp). Four-speed automatics were standard with all except the GXP's V6, which got a six-speed; however, the four-cylinder got an optional six-speed for 2009 that raised highway fuel economy to a laudable 33 mpg.