Thinking about putting the Cutlass in storage

Mel87

Well soon here maybe by the end of the year I might be putting the Cutlass in storage for a long time. No it's not being punished :P I just hate putting so many miles on this car as a DD, and since it was garage kept by the first owner it's in spectacular condition in and out. Not only that but we don't have a garage, so it sits outside all day in the good old Maryland heat and humidity... So I may rent a storage space and put it in there for a good long time... who knows, maybe like 20 years... Then I will pull it out and people will be like oh wow, I remember those!! Haha:lol: I may go buy another beater as a DD and store the Cutlass.

I don't mean to come across rude or a jerk, but it's not going to be a highly collectible car. As long as you keep it nice and take care of it it'll probably be worth a little bit more. I'd say if you're going to store it, store it in the winters. But drive it and enjoy it. I think of mine like this, if I died tomorrow what would happen? Some young kid would probably get it and beat the crap out of it...so I might as well enjoy what I have today because you never know if or when that'll happen.

enjoy it, drive it, take care of it, and it'll last you years on end. I kept my cutlass really nice for a long time and it could have stayed that way, but the last year or so I owned it it finally kinda went downhill, what with having a full time job and no second car.

I am not storing the car for it's value. I am aware that this car will not be worth anything later down the road. I am storing it because I would like to pull it out years on in and it still be in garage shape. We don't have a garage here and it's too nice of a car to let sun bake, rained on, snowed on... etc.

Letting a car sit isn't good for it either. It needs to be driven and used. If you were to store it for years, I can guarantee you that it wouldn't be right. Lots of stuff would probably need to be fixed or replaced.

Oh I know haha, I will take it out once every month and cruise around in it. It just needs a home, and she told me she doesn't want to sleep on the street :D

But don't drive it in the salt, because it's worse to drive it in the salt and put it back away with salt on it. At least when it's a dd in the salt the wet roads and washing will kind of keep it from corroding quite as fast, but when it sits it'll rot quick. I found that out the hard way! :roll:

My brothers car found that out as well... salt will completely obliterate paint on a car if you let it sit.

But basically I will still drive there car every month, but it won't be my DD, and it needs shelter... I want it to be in as good of shape as our 87 Cutlass when it reaches 22 years old:)

This tells what a garage does:thumbsup: and I will say this is the original paint

IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

/\/\/\ Thats what I want the 97 to look like in 10 more years

Read this link http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/47629-1995-vert-with-202-original-miles.-To-drive-or-not-to-drive

I made the choice to drive it and I couldn't be happier. That being said, I have a garage and I baby the fuck out of mine. I'd say get a place to store it out of the everyday elements and get something else as a DD. But drive it and enjoy it every chance you get.

The original owner of mine put it away because he wanted to keep it nice. When he passed away ~2008 the car only had 197 miles on it. Tomorrow isn't promised to any of us man.

Read this link http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/47629-1995-vert-with-202-original-miles.-To-drive-or-not-to-drive

I made the choice to drive it and I couldn't be happier. That being said, I have a garage and I baby the fuck out of mine. I'd say get a place to store it out of the everyday elements and get something else as a DD. But drive it and enjoy it every chance you get.

The original owner of mine put it away because he wanted to keep it nice. When he passed away ~2008 the car only had 197 miles on it. Tomorrow isn't promised to any of us man.

Wow man, that car is bbbbeautiful!! I used to drive a sedan with the same color, looks nice man. Like I said I will still drive it on some nice spring days, but I want to get it off the street and out of the extreme weather to preserve it.

I say drive it and enjoy it. I also have a 97 Coupe, and I love it. I bought it 4 years ago with minor damage, and originally planned to fix and re sell it. But I liked the way it drove, and decided to keep it. Mine is triple black with leather, and always sits outside since my other projects are in the garage. Here is how I keep mine spotless; wash it once a week, leather conditioner several times a year, sunscreen on the windshield when parked, and several wax jobs a year. I have owned just about one of everything over the years, both foreign and domestic, and I get stopped more often with my Cutlass than any other car I have owned. Like other guys have said, it will never really be worth anything big, so enjoy it now. By the way, mine has about 135,000 miles on it, and runs like a new car.

Nice man!! You should put up a pic of yours.

But I am doing everything I can now to keep it looking new, I know the paint wont fade over night... but any precautions will help for the future. I figure it will be easier to get a home for though

Thanks. Another idea might be a car cover designed for outdoor use. I have a vacation home in Florida with out a garage, and I have a cool 1993 Fleetwood that I keep covered when I am not there. I bought it from California car cover, and it really works. It was about $150.00, and has been on the car for over 3 years. You can imagine how hot it gets down there, but with a good quality cover, it really works. It lets the rain through, but the paint does not fade, and the interior is still perfect. This way you can protect your car, and still enjoy it when you want, and not pay someone to store your baby. :)