Donnelly Auto-Dimming mirror conversion

Regal_GS_1989

It's been a long time since I last posted. Just wondering if anyone here would happen to know how easy, hard, or possible it would be to swap out the Donnelly auto dimming mirror in the 2000 Regal with one of the On-star Gentex Units from a 2002 ish Regal? I know that the connectors are different, and obviously the On-Star unit has connections that won't be used, but it is an auto dimming unit none the less, and it has the maplights which I need. My Donnelly has a small bubble that has appeared in the corner, and I want to replace it before it desides to puke its guts all over the interior. The only mirror I found at the local wrecker that would work would be said on-star unit. Found a bunch of donnelly's, but I really don't want to have to replace it again.

TIA.

I just put one of those in a 99' GS. the connector is different. I just figured out what wires worked the maplights and autodim/reverse disable. the colours are mostly the same too. once I got that far I unpinned the onstar wires out of the connector, chopped the car side off and soldered it together, works perfect.

That's what I hoped to hear! :) Ultimately, I was hoping to find an intrigue GLS one....but those are slim pickings around this area period (JY or on the road). I'm gonna hit the JY on my way home from work and hope that it is still intact and waiting for me.

Both Donnelly mirrors in my cars have leaked all their fluid, but they don't leak out into the interior, it seems to have stayed in the housing or evaporated or something like that.

The Donnelly mirrors are crap.