2001 Grand Prix blows hot & cold

space ace

I have a 2001 Grand Prix that when A/C is on and temp controls are set to cold, will blow hot air from the driver's side and cold from passenger side. I know it has the dual climate control and I have checked the R134 level and it is good. I also replaced the actuator on the driver's side, but it was not the problem. I tried disconnecting the battery for 15+ minutes, but nothing changed. I can move the driver's side temp control back and forth several times and the actuator will then move to the cold setting for a ~5 seconds, then go right back to the full heat setting. I have taken the actuator off and manually moved the vent door to the cold postion to get the A/C to come out the driver's side until I can find out WHAT is causing the issue.

Any ideas??

I think a covered all those suggestions in the threads. I replaced the actuator and it still responds the same way. My old actuator did not have a cracked gear either, so I think the actuator is not the problem. I have removed it now and manually moved the blend door to cold position.

I can moved the temp control lever back and forth several times (then leave it in the cold position) and the actuator will move from the hot position to the cold position, but then go right back to the hot position.

Any more suggestions??

Other than the actuator being bad, I think about the only other thing to check is the HVAC control unit... If it's changing to cold after you fiddle with it and then switching immediately back (indicating the actuator is functioning) it kind of sounds like something is screwy in the control unit to where it thinks the switch is on hot for some reason...