Grand Prix Key Release Troubles

runt

Ok. Need some help!

On the GP....when you put the car into gear (and drive it around) and turn the car off sometimes the key won't come out. By won't come out, I mean it won't go all of the way back to the point where you can pull it out it, it stays somewhere between the ON and OFF positions. But if I depress the brake pedal while "popping" the gear shifter button I'll hear a click under the dash and the key will come out. Does anyone know WTF this might be? I'm selling the car Tuesday morning and if it's an easy fix I might just do it. Funny thing is...sometimes it works great for months then it'll be a bastard for awhile. I'm sure it's some dumb switch just don't know where.

T is still in the car and staying. I thought it was that too and it helped for awhile but still doing it.

I guess Anthony had a fix for this...guess it's time to try searching....

Saw your post after I did it. Found the solenoid under there. Rather than unplug or replace I just zip tied the "button" up onto place. This way the key still comes out and functions like normal. More of a "there i fixed it moment" but that's OK.

On the underside of the plastic around the column there is a small hole where you can stick a screw driver up (after remote the small panel about 1/2" in diameter). Figured that had to be it and did a "forever" fix.

Thanks for the help though!

when mine did it, it was the key getting rounded out new key no more problems

Tried that. Did it with both sets. One is slightly worn, the other was brand spankin' new.

On the underside of the plastic around the column there is a small hole where you can stick a screw driver up (after remote the small panel about 1/2" in diameter). Figured that had to be it and did a "forever" fix.

Thanks for the help though!

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. That solved the same problem on my GP, until I got the ignition cylinder replaced.

2 or 3 of mine have did it. I just take it out. the key still works normal. and so does the gear shift lol. And ya.. i used to have a hard time finding something in my car small enough for the hole LOL! pens dont fit unless you shove really hard lol.