i hav a 1991 lumina 3.1 cooling fans wont come on low coolant light stays on

hartleye

unplug the coolant temp sensor(the 2 wire one) then roll the key forward to the start position. depending on what it does, that can rule out some of the problems.

I'll assume that you have checked and verified the coolant level. Those sensors go bad, there is a plug for the sender on the pass side of the radiator about 6-8 inches down from the cap, unplug that and it should make the light go out.

do what Saaaaaar said with the Coolant temp sensor, with that unplugged it should make the SES lamp come on and the fan should run all the time I think.

you could also pull the fan relays and either manually trigger them or swap the relays around and see if that helps

do what Saaaaaar said with the Coolant temp sensor, with that unplugged it should make the SES lamp come on and the fan should run all the time I think.

should trigger the SES for infinte resistance on the coolant temp sensor circuit, which will kick the fan on IF the ECM is functioning properly, the relays are functional, wiring is intact and the fans themselves aren't dead.

my train of thought.

also, on 90 and earlier W's(most if not all), the coolant level sensor was actually a sensor that ran to the ECM and the ECM would command the light on and off. on the 91 and newer setups, it's actually a switch that eventually gets connected to the instrument cluster, which controls it from there.