So what is WRONG with digital gauges?

Oilpatch197

:think:

Seems like I can find references for the "terrible digital dash" all from the reviewers and pros.

Old Buick Regal review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqZQdU9qri8 MotorWeek had even mentioned it, "last year's terrible digital cluster".... I can't figure out why? Was it failures/reliability or aesthetics that the "pros" don't like?:think:

Edited by Oilpatch197

they might be referencing he base digital instruments(at work now so can't watch the clip), which really were awful. the Cutlass and Regal both had pretty bad base digital clusters, both had speed and fuel as the only gauges (did cutlass have temp???) And to top it off they were unreliable as all get out, the nicer UB3 gauged were reliable and nice to look at.

yeah, the base digi dashes were total crap in form and function.

i've never seen the uplevel regal clusters, but the digi UB3 in the CS is all kinds of WIN.

What did they look like? I've only had one car with a digital dash, and it was a 1988 Z28 Cavalier.

It was ok, as long as you like green. It never gave any troubles. Was the Regal/Cutlass was similar?:think:

post-6319-143689073139_thumb.jpg

And the base Regal and CS clusters were horrible for being erratic...A loud fart would cause them to flicker.

I loved my UB3 better than anything. It is te best looking and most reliable. It is a complete work of art.

I couldnt stand the base digital clusters. All makes had lots of issues with base digital clusters. The cavalier one is vey rare. The most reliable ones Ikknow of are the onesin the cadillacs that are full didgital readout, and the UB3. Even the Blazers that had the digital clusters fail very early

What did they look like? I've only had one car with a digital dash, and it was a 1988 Z28 Cavalier.

It was ok, as long as you like green. It never gave any troubles. Was the Regal/Cutlass was similar?:think:

I had that cluster on my 86 Z24. HATED IT!! The whole cluster would just turn off all the time. I had to punch it to get it to turn back on. Half the time I would cut my hand on the screws holding the top of the dash on while doing so. None of the gauges were even close to accurate either.