Seats from another vehicle

daveppeters

Hey all, I have a '96 Lumina base which has the 60/40 split front bench. I would like to have bucket seats up front. Would it be possible to put in front seats from a Volvo? They are both power seats and have side airbags. I realize that the track bolts may not line up, but I am willing to drill new holes. The Volvo seats are both electric, how hard would it be to wire them in (my current driver's seat is electric)? Most importantly, would it be possible to wire in the side airbags into the car's existing airbag system?

I know it would be easier to put in seats from another w-body, but I already have the Volvo (which I'm parting out) and wouldn't have to buy seats! Thanks for the help!

Drilling holes wouldn't be tough, or making plates that attach to the lumina mounts, and have bolt locations for the Volvo seats. The Caprice and Impala SS guys do this with bonneville seats. The piece needs to be thick. If you do drill holes, you should put some more supporting metal around the holes since they would be through just regular sheet metal which could tear in an accident.

Electric wiring will depend on if all the movement functions are on each seat or if they are in a central module. If they are all on the seats, then you probably just need to get power and ground there. Get wiring diagrams for both cars.

Airbags are 99.99% a no-go. Both systems most likely use different protocol and sensors hich would not be compatible and possible make then go off prematurely.