2000 gtp engine surge.

313hitman

Hey all. Gtp having annoying engine surge before and after new 02 sensor, wires, plugs and fuel filter. Sometimes it dies at idle or try to..while I drive every once in a while I get a hard surge almost as if I tapped the brake..I'm leaning toward to maf, or fuel pump. Any help is greatly appreciated

i thought that too, i took it to a 3 trans shops just now and as soon as it happened they all said its not trans..feels like car shut off and on in an instant. im going to rent a fuel pressure tester and drive with it on the window to see if pressure drops.

it did it before the screen removal, but i havent cleaned it. im definitely taking ur advise and cleaning it tomorrow. ill let you know the results

Always use a TB screen, they're not restrictive and they smooth out the flow for the MAF.

I'm just throwing this out there, could it be the IAC? Or a vac leak?

Replace your MAF. My car did this for weeks before FINALLY throwing a code about the MAF. The MAF might not look bad but it probably is. And don't waste your time cleaning it. Buy a new one (or a decent used one which is what I did)

And put your TB screen back in.

Like the others were saying put the screen back in, I've heard countless people talk about how it makes things worse not better, also unplug the MAF and see how the car acts the SES will be on but it should run on speed density good enough.

unplug the MAF and see how the car acts the SES will be on but it should run on speed density good enough.

First thing I thought of when I read the description of the problem. The MAF sensor going out is very common on these motors (as well as most GM motors), and the easiest way to pinpoint it is to unplug it and see what happens. Do not wale on the accelerator while it's unplugged, though! It's running off of generic speed density tables, so just drive it normal just to observe and see if it eliminates the problem. If it does, you know you have to replace it (cleaning it very, very seldom helps).

Almost my exact symptoms tonight. Threw a low voltage maf code the other day but never really had any change in how the car ran....except in park and neutral it would bounce idle like this between 500 and 1k... and attempted to be a cheap ass and just tried to clean it. After that it started doing this, but worse. Couldn't get it above 2k rpms without over exerting itself. So needless to say I kept it under 2k with teh hazards. Unplugged the shitty aftermarket MAF that's in the car and the car runs a lot better.

Drove it like a Buick is used to being driven all the way home, and picked up my buddy's used stock GM MAF. But I have to drive it like this to and from work tomorrow because I forgot to grab a T-20 torx bit FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU