Replacing a water pump on an L36

9lumina6

What are the chances that metal shavings have gotten into the Cooling system? This is the first water pump that's ever gone out on me out of any vehicle I've ever owned.

I know my L67 has a spot where a old waterpump played aluminum grinder inside my timing cover, I think my old L36 had a spot like that too :lol:.

If you ever wanted to flush your coolant now is the time with the pump out, albeit a messy endeavor. on a L36 its a pretty easy job, just gotta move the PS pump outa the way.

Water Pump Replacement

Removal Procedure

Drain the cooling system.

Reposition the accessory wiring junction block.

Loosen the water pump pulley bolts.

Remove the drive belt.

Remove the water pump pulley bolts.

Remove the water pump pulley.

Remove the power steering pump mounting bolts and reposition.

Remove the water pump bolts.

Remove the water pump.

Remove the water pump gasket.

Clean and inspect the water pump gasket mating surfaces.

Installation Procedure

Install the gasket and the water pump.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

See: Service Precautions\Vehicle Damage Warnings\Fastener Notice

Install the water pump bolts.

Tighten the long water pump bolts to 34 Nm (25 ft. lbs.) .

Tighten the short water pump bolts to 22 Nm (16 ft. lbs.) .

Install the water pump pulley.

Install the water pump pulley bolts. Tighten the bolts to 13 Nm (115 inch lbs.) .

Install the power steering pump.

Install the drive belt.

Install the accessory wiring junction block.

Fill the cooling system.

Small tube of gray rtv, put a light coat on both sides of the gasket, put the gasket on the water pump, them remove the old water pump, by the time you have the water pump out the rtv will have begun to setup, no chance of any leaks

Yeah I made sure I picked up some of that gray Water Pump RTV today. Got a brand new Water Pump (gasket included) with a lifetime warrenty for $35

Much easier than an L27, that's for damn sure, at least in the H bodies. I had to put one in my step dad's 92 olds 88. I don't think I'll be volunteering for one of them again. The motor mount must be removed on the l27 h bodies, and every bolt was rusty, I cringed at the thought of snapping any of them off, but luckily they survived, barely.

brand?

anything not made in China preferably. GMB think is Japan, I would have recommended Airtex however the owners of the company (The Carlyle Group Re: investors more concerned about stock quotes) demanded that water pump production be moved to China, fortunately they still make USA made fuel pumps.

BTW when I replaced my water pump the Original had a nice FORGED impeller, and the replacement had a STAMPED impeller. The Original design moved more coolant but less efficient but the after-market was more efficient but moved less coolant.

Edited by Oilpatch197