Anyone cleared their GP tails?

Psych0matt

If so, how? I don't want to mess up my only halfway decent set. I', tempted to try it out on my revered set of lights, since I'd be clearing them anyways :lol:

I have a set without gaskets on them that was going to the garbage, horrible de-lamination and such, but you can have them free if you want next time I come your way.

I've done it, did it on my 92 GP. It was very easy to do. This was years ago, don't judge the car please! She was my first. There's a red plastic piece that can simply be removed after you carefully separate the front clear lens from the housing. Then just RTV it back together and buy some red and yellow bulbs.

post-3595-143689071662_thumb.jpg

post-3595-143689071666_thumb.jpg

did you have to heat it up or anything of that nature?

No sir. Might have used an exacto knife to seperate the lens from housing. This was probably 5-6 years ago. I really loved how they look. I'll see if I have any night shots.

Heating it up would probably make things easier for separating the 2 pieces. When I took apart an extra set of Regal headlights to tint I found it was 10x easier to separate after putting them in the oven for like 10 minutes, at 210*

I have a second set of grid taillights I'd like to try this with, but where do you find red light bulbs in that style? Ive never been able to find them so I never tried this mod.

Your best bet would be LED's. If you have coupe tails there's a "spider" bulb that looks really cool and works really well, problem being they're $30 a pair on ebay.

not to derail, but i guess seperating them is the only way to clean them too? mine have a bunch of dirt inside that won't rinse away with water

Yeah... don't do it. Looks like crap.

I guess thats just your opinion. I wouldn't do them on my green gtp but I really did like them on my black gp.

I have a second set of grid taillights I'd like to try this with, but where do you find red light bulbs in that style? Ive never been able to find them so I never tried this mod.

I found mine on ebay, not sure if you can still find non-LED bulbs anymore, but a little extra coin and just get the LED ones. Should be cheap.