Front Bucket Seat Repairs

Mark 97 Cutlass Coupe

Hey guys, I don't know if this has ever been discussed before (I'm a newbe) but I made what I thought was a great discovery the other day at the junkyard. My 97 Cutlass coupe has black leather seats. The leather is still very nice, but the foam pad under the driver seat is worn, and besides being uncomfortable after a few hours, I don't want to ruin the leather. I was looking for a replacement foam seat pad at the jy, of course no luck. I got to looking at the passenger seat, and unlike most cars, I thought that they are the same, not mirror images of each other like most cars. I stopped at the dealer today, and I was right-oem part is no longer available, but gm shows both seat back and bottoms left and right with the same part number. Obviously 95% of cars have much less wear on the pass seat than the drivers, so I found a cherry pass seat, took the foam, and looks like I am good to go. I'm guessing the same is true for GP's as well, but I did not check that out with the dealer. Hope this helps!!

another thing I have seen done is that the bottom is usually just a wire mesh holding the foaw and over time the mesh digs into the foam. Some people have put fabric, paper or cardboard over this and used the original foam and it has helped restore the comfort of the seats.

I have known and described what to do to fix this. In the CS seat, the bottom and top foam is identical in both coupe and sedan buckets. I often use passenger side foam in the driver's seat and cut some j/y car rug out to lay on the springs under the foam of the bottom of the seat (I have used hard thin plastic too, when available) The upholstery is nearly identical with both seats, the exceptions being where the holes on the outer bolster are, and the seat release in coupes. To switch them, I have cut new holes in the seat in the appropriate location and sewn close the old holes with upholstery thread.