Time to think about exhaust options for Also GTP.

9lumina6

The exhaust on it now it pretty hammered on the 91 (mainly the mufflers) One has a HUGE hole on the bottom of it that was a very tiny hole the other day. They don't line up right...causing the tips to rest on those metal guards in the exhaust tip cutouts. Also, the midpipe about a foot/foot & a half behind the CAT has a hole that has een patched....but still ticks.

I'd like to gather some thoughts/input on cheap options here.

Here's MY Idea. I've looked this up on youtube and havent found anything like it.....

Cut the mufflers out....replace with straight pipes and put the stock tips on those & cut out the bad section of midpipe and replace with a 26-28'' or so glasspack. The car isn't driven daily...so loudness isnt too much of a problem....as long as theres a muffler on there so I can't get nailed for no muffler.

i'm interested in seeing how this sounds..... :lol:

it will certainly be loud, but the actual tone may be anywhere from awesome to "screen door on submarine".

Here's MY Idea. I've looked this up on youtube and havent found anything like it.....

Found it:

Best ever.

That's John's old car isnt it??? And that's a single exhaust....

I'm keeping it dual....but my idea consists of just replacing the mufflers with straight pipes and just putting in a very long glasspack up behind the factory CAT.

The mufflers on it now are not stock. I'm not sure what they are (neither did DTF when he had it) but they sounded good. That is, until the one blew a huge hole in it.....now at idle it sounds like an L36/L67 at idle with a rotted resonator/mufflers. haha

No mufflers, big resonator, stock cat. Good to go. :thumbsup:

That's what I'm leaning towards.........I just wanted to gather other's opinions/options that I havent thought of to possibly consider as well before I take action.

The turbo does A LOT to muffle the sound on TGP's with no mufflers.

LQ1's NEED mufflers of some sort IMO

The turbo does A LOT to muffle the sound on TGP's with no mufflers.

LQ1's NEED mufflers of some sort IMO

Very true. Galen, I'm interested to see/hear what you do. I need to redo mine soon, but after a bunch of other things, but I'm very picky on how its gonna sound

Galen you have heard my car. Its straight pipe from the cat back with a resonator. No mufflers. I couldn't ask for a better sound

that's how all TGP's should be.....wait, my GP is that way too lol

anyone else ever use a supertrapp?

my dad had one on his Z24 vert back in the day, i guess he liked the idea of adjustable sound.

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to go with a set of Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers for the 91. Stopped in at a local exhaust shop and asked what the install to get em hung/welded would cost. The kid who was kinda the manager said he'd hang em up, weld em in with the original tips, and also cut out the leaky section of pipe behind the CAT and weld in a new section all for $100 as kind of a side job. Getting it done on Wed. afternoon.....so we'll see how she sounds. It sounds siqqq with the blown mufflers....but the one is rattling at lower RPM's because the baffles are shot....so it is starting to get on my nerves....or else I'd keep it the way it is now longer.

I'm interested to see how that will sound. Do you have a video of how it sounds now?

100 dollars to get new mufflers installed isn't a bad price and to get a section of pipe replaced can't go wrong.

I don't have a video of how it sounds now....but i can take one....so long as my battery life in ze camera is plentifull. And yeah it was $118 for the 2 mufflers...I gotta go pick them up on tuesday.....and then $100 to install them and all that welding jazz. My budget for this was $200....so $18 over budget I'm not going to complain.

Very crappy cell phone video.......my good video camera has no battery life...cant find any around the house. Anyways, this might give you an idea of how loud it is right now.

[video=youtube;SqozVNDJSHw]

The cell phone vid doesnt do justice.......but it's REALLY loud....and does sound really cool. But that rattling from the baffles at lower RPM's when I'm taking off from a light is annoying/embarrasing. Cruising in 5th at 75mph it sounds bad ass when the windows are down.