advise for another vert

xennith

So we found another 93 red CS vert that we're buying for $500. Looks like the body is in good shape and it has a brand new top a good transmission but a bad motor. So here's the dilema.

We still have the extra 3.4 that threw a rod or 2 and want to do my first rebuild to teach myself how. How much should this cost? Is there a full rebuild kit anywhere? I can't seem to find one. And is it worth it to rebuild?

Should we just use this new CS for parts considering it's the right color and doesn't run?

It'd be fun to put in a L67 but that sounds pricey and, I'm sure it would be over my head since I don't have much experience. (I do have a mechanic that will help a little and answer any questions, but I don't want to be a total PITA)

Just looking for some opinions and ideas on what it might cost to get it running again if thats the route we go.

A rebuild could be done, but there is quite a few special tools needed to get everything apart and back together... I personally would keep it for parts since you have 2 that might be needing parts in the near future... However if you found a low mile engine from a jy, the new trans and top would make it a pretty nice ride

Hmmm. Looking into the L67 swap. I need to do some studying but it seems like that may be the cheapest way to get it going if I can find a good engine and trans at the local jy, it would be $350 for both. Plus all the fixins of course. I need to figure out the wiring stuff it sounds like that would be the complicated part.

btw an l67 would be easier to rebuilt. by far. since the 3.4 is a dohc... its not something for a new person to rebuilding a motor should do. i dont even want to work on em. and have did a lot of motor swaps/ transmission rebuilds/ built l67... no thanks on the 3.4 lol

Good to know. I haven't thought about rebuilding an l67, I guess I was just hoping to find a good one. The 3.4 isn't worth the $ to rebuild anyway right now since there are several crates available for around $1000. Like the one above for 750.

Do the crate swap and be done. Thats what i did for my vert and bought it for the same price you bought your vert. Put the engine back in that is supposed to be there. There are alot of people who will critize the DOHC but its really not that bad of an engine at all. I love it.

TBH I would rather own and maintain the DOHC then a L67 anyday.

Edited by LuminaPower92

If I put a dohc back in it I would just have it painted and sell it. I already have one exactly like it that is in great shape and all original. So now I'm just dreaming up a fun project. I love the dohc and it's interesting learning so much from an engine that everyone calls a PITA. I guess everything after this will be a cakewalk.

The '03 GP I had was a L36 but it never needed a bit of work in the five years I owned it. I sold it at 96k miles when I bought my first vert. So I really don't know what it's like to work on that one.