fuel pump won't turn on

intern8tion9l

i'm losing my mind with this car, and i think the whole reason it won't run is because the fuel pump isn't turning on. the car is my tgp(originally auto of course) with the whole engine bay wiring harness out of my cutlass supreme.

now back me up here: when you connect the fuel pump relay jumper wire to 12v with a test light, the light should NOT illuminate right? it should just send the power through and turn the pump on? the light coming on to me indicates that the power wire to the pump is grounding out somewhere, but i don't know how because both cars ran fine before this project.

i noticed 2 differences in the firewall plugs:

1.there is a purple wire on the tgp harness that goes to the auto trans gear position sensor

2. there is a green wire on the tgp harness that connects to the MAP signal wire(can't figure out why)

ANY insight anyone has would be greatly appreciated

your right.. it should not have a ground It should not turn on if you connected to the power side. and put it to the place that needs power. Here is what i would do. Run a new wire from the fuse box. and a new ground wire. And then you have a fuel pump.

Edited by Addicted to eaton

IIRC, the Map signal wires goes to the cluster for the boost gauge.

Is the purple wire large?? Then thats the 12v to the range switch on the auto trans, that then goes to the starter solenoid terminal.

ok, that boost guage wire thing makes sense. the purple wire is small diameter, i know the larger one you're talking about. this one runs all the way from the firewall to the round connector on the auto trans. i figured since the auto harness is no more, the car shouldn't care about that wire, especially since it doesn't even go to the ecm.

i was thinking about running a seperate wire from the fuel pump right to the pin on the firewall connector, just to see if that worked....

• 2 weeks later...

according to the manual, this could be 1 of 3 things: dead fuel pump, open circuit 120(gray fuel pump signal wire), or open fuel pump ground. since nick put a new pump in, and it worked before the motor swap, i'm def leaning toward one of the other things. the fuel pump has 2 grounds; i traced each one of them all the way up to the firewall on the passenger side, but now can't see where the hell they go from there. anyone have any idea?

i'm like the only one posting in this thread, haha. anyway, i figured it out today and the tgp is alive and running well! turns out the ignition switch is bad

i dunno if this is a part i can buy or if i'll have to get it from a yard or someone parting out...

I can sell you the one from my TGP.. I'll be using a newer column so this one wont do me a lot of good.

sounds good to me man. not sure really how it all comes apart, looks pretty hard wired

Yeah i'll prolly dig into it tomorrow. I wanna get the car on jackstands, get the column and front subframe and suspension out and ready for new bushings and cleaning and whatnot.

alright keep me posted. actually in looking at it, it the switch comes off the column, there is a big plug under the dash it goes to. may be able to get it all as one piece