Adding a sunroof to a car not equipped with one

88red4cyl

This is just a simple question, but on W's, is it possible to add a sunroof (a factory one) to a car not originally equipped with one? I know on Fiero's you can just swap roof panels to one that has a sunroof, but I wasn't sure if it was that simple on W's (a Lumina in particular)..

Flip (the light tinting guy and founder of GPONA) has done it by swapping the whole roof panel of a GP.

Anything's possible, it's just labor intensive.

take wind sheild out. and back window. take headliner down. take the strips off the top of the roof on both sides. by the doors. under it will be rivets. Drill the rivets out on each side.. and lift the roof skin... put new one in with a sunroof opening. and weld it back down. put hte strips back on. and wala! install the sunroof. and run a power, fused power, and ground.

get a nice aftermarket Hollandia (have one in my Z34 - it was installed in '93 and still works perfect)

get a nice aftermarket Hollandia (have one in my Z34 - it was installed in '93 and still works perfect)

Is it me or are these ridiculously slow? :lol:

Would you be able to add the drain tubes though? Is it open from the roof to the fender (or wherever they drain to)?

Yeah my Z has A-pillar drain tubes installed

Sounds like it would be a lot easier and cheaper to sell your car and buy another car with a sunroof.

If it was that simple I would have done it already.. :lol: Cars with sunroofs are close to nonexistant around here except on newer stuff...

Does it HAVE to be factory? Why not just get a wabasto installed? It's like $750 and has a warranty... which welding in a factory roof panel and assembly most certainly would not.

Does it HAVE to be factory? Why not just get a wabasto installed? It's like $750 and has a warranty... which welding in a factory roof panel and assembly most certainly would not.

$750 installed really isn't that bad!

No it doesn't have to be factory. I have just heard so many stories of aftermarket ones leaking that I thought it would be the better way to go...

No it doesn't have to be factory. I have just heard so many stories of aftermarket ones leaking that I thought it would be the better way to go...

the one i had in my cutlass was installed by American sun roof company when that car was new. and it never leaked and worked great when i head it (it was 12 years old) and it looked factory. we had a hard time telling it was not at the w-body meet.