My First Gen is blowing hot air out the passengers side.

Oilpatch197

Car: 1992 Buick Regal GS dual climate control(with the separate slider controls)

Symptoms: when I move the sliders to the right(hot) both sides go hot, but when I slide them to the left(cold) only the drivers side gets cool, the pass side is blowing hot air.

I did read the FAQ: Help! My HVAC is cold on one side, hot on the other! but that information pertains to a 2nd Gen.

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/22011-(2nd-Generation)-FAQ-Help!-My-HVAC-is-cold-on-one-side-hot-on-the-other!

...My 1992 Buick is a 1st Gen W body. I would like to inspect the left/right side door actuator for damage, but I don't know the differences between the locations of a 1st gen and a 2nd gen, are they in the same place or a different location?

post-6319-143689069483_thumb.jpg

According to this diagram I got TWO actuators! #3 and #16 are actuator, I suspect #3 is malfunctioning, since I am getting heat on the pass side and cool air(not cold) on the drivers side with AC on. Is this actuator #2 behind the glove box like Gen 2's, or am I going to have to remove the dash? *cringes*

Remove the lower kick panels and you can see everything. Most likely the blend door motor is bad. You can remove them easily, and they are not left/right specific.

Okay I removed the pass side kick panel, after removing a fuse panel and the thingy that had all the havac hoses going to it, I was able to remove the blend door motor.

Now I can adj it and have freezing cold air on the Passengers side! :biggrin: BUT now my drivers side is NOT as cold! I can freeze myself on the pass side but the drivers side, where I'm usually at is just kinda cool!

So how do I make the drivers side as cold as the passengers side? Is there another blend motor I need to find and remove/fix:(?

I can't seem to find it!

Edited by Oilpatch197

yes, it is there, kinda hiddne on the driver's side.. I have been getting blend door motors and should have some good ones i can sell... but of course... i have no time.......

can you point me in a direction where I may look? Is it back where the blinker module is, or what do I need to remove to get to it?

A simple visual on my back, I cannot find it, is it down low like the passengers side?

It will take me some time, as I am recovering from working on the passengers side, got some sore elbows and knees that need to recover!

And what is the best way to set these things up manually? I'm thinking a manual choke cable and a shaft collar...(?)

Edited by Oilpatch197

Well I could not find that drivers side motor, so I just removed the pass side. the shaft that comes out is 1/2"/13mm, so I got a 1/2" collar, a washer, welded the washer on the collar, and drilled a hole in the washer and used a "coat hanger":lol: as the adjustment rod.

installed the collar on the shaft and tightened the collar lock onto the blend door shaft....now I got a coat hanger sticking out of the lower dash for hot/cold adjustments.:lol:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

picture the shaft you see going in a straight line out the other side of the HVAC box, that is where the other blend door motor will be.