The Turn Signal Blues

pistolpetez34

Hello Everyone,

In trying to get my 1992 Lumina Z34 (Auto.) inspected, I have hit some snags that have left me scratching my head, and so I thought I would post about it to see what kind of feedback I get from the pros here.. My turn signals do not blink. They light up, but simply stay lit. I checked bulbs, fuses, relays, and spent most of the day yesterday looking for a bad ground, but with no luck. I also purchased a new flasher unit, but still nothing.

Now I suspect this maybe my turn signal switch in column, but I am not the type of person to start replacing SUSPECTED defective parts unless I know for certain they went bad. Seeing how this inspection is already causing me some damage on account of bad rear rotors/ineffective ebrake/ seized brake calipers, I am reluctant to throw down 75 beans for the TSS if I can avoid it.

I suspect that the TSS may be shot because 1. When I pull the turn signal lever up to the R position, sometimes I have to push it up even further (or slightly jostle it) in order to get the R turn indicator to come on. Also, I have problems switching between Low and High beams, and again, more wiggling is required. Does this sound like a faulty TSS? Is there anyway I can test it before I buy a new one? My Haynes manual tells me certain special tools are required to remove the steering wheel to get to the switch, so I have no way of getting to it unless I take it in to the shop (more damage).

Also, I am unclear on whether the flasher unit is located in what my manual calls the "convenience center", which is located under the dash on the passenger side. My hazards all work, and I here the flasher engaging when I turn them on. After reading Laveen Z34's thread, I am unclear on whether there is a Turn signal flasher that I missed on the driver's side (according to the thread, above the gas pedal, clipped in). Would anyone know if that is the case with the 92 Z34? If so, is it another cylindrical 3 prong canister like the one I replaced in that convenience center.

One last clue - which suggests electrical fault..Intermittently, the turn signals do flash - not always at an even pace, they will blink normally, then speed up- once in a while I hear the flasher engaging when they actually blink, I do not hear the flasher when they blink fast. Again, checked bulbs and fuses first. Does anyone know where the turn signals are grounded? I looked and looked, but simply could not find it.

I appreciate any help I can get, as this car inspection needs to get done. Thank you in advance for anyhelp. If I left anything out that maybe useful, just please let me know as I will be checking back frequently.

Sounds like a short in the wiring somewhere to me.... or the turn signal switch. The switches are known for going on W-body's, but not until year 1994 at least from what i know.

The 88-93 Turn Signal Switches tend to need a tear down and cleaning or their contacts to be restored to working order if bad. Of maybe a dozen of these units I have worked on, only ONE actually needed replacement. The rest just needed the contacts cleaned and a stable lubricant added (I use silicone dielectric grease)

You do have to remove the steering wheel (Autozone has a loner tool for pulling that) and you'll have to dig in just a bit to get to it.... but I've serviced them in just ten minutes myself...

Hi again! Thank you Crazy K & Z34guy for your advice. I am literally logging off after reading these posts, and headed to the parts store to pick up the tool to pull the steering wheel so I can get to the contacts on the TSS. I have my fingers crossed it's the TSS, since god only knows where there electrical short can be, if that is the case. I will post back when I figure out whether its the switch or not. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Hello Gentlemen,

Sorry I have not posted back regarding status sooner, got tied up with my girlfriend, and then a job interview this morning. Right before I headed out to the parts store yesterday, I decided to take one last look for the flasher that was supposed to be above the accelerator pedal - I found it, replaced it, and my turn signals work again!! (for the first time in six months). What my Haynes manual did not tell me was that there are two separate flashers: One is for the hazards, located under the dash on the pass. side, or in the "convenience center", and the other is the actual turn signal flasher, which was right where previous threads described it to be. I went wrong on the assumption that the same unit was dedicated to both, and boy did that cost me alot of time. Thank you again. Mission Accomplished :D

Just curious, would cleaning the TSS help in my '96? I've got the problem of the main brake lights not working unless I fiddle with the switch or of the signals are on. Center brake works fine and I know the brake switch is ok. I'd much rather not go through the hassle of replacing the TSS if I can pull the wheel quick at work and clean the contacts and hit them with some dielectric.

Alec, yes it might help, but the newer switches are more finicky. Give it a shot and see what it does, but be prepared to find that it needs replacement.

Most newer switches I've messed with are worn to the point of needing replacement, though i would love to implement a fix for them. The worst issue is the moving part of the mechanism is retained to the body of the switch by a single simple plastic tab, and once that has worn away the switch is done because the contacts simply are no longer in contact anymore.

here's a how too, for the newer switches:

http://tss.likeabigdog.com/