pinned fuel gauge

joecutlass

my my cutty has the base cluster(consisting on a fuel gauge, speedo and odometer) lame i know. lol. the fuel gauge is pinned at full. but when the tank gets down to, im assuming a quarter tank, one bar goes away. and it goes empty at two bars above half tank. any idea what this could be? i replaced the fuel pump almost a month ago

if you do one of these fuel pumps on any gm vehicle replace fuel level sender at the same time they are very finicky and in my professional experience will fail after reinstallment at least half of the time and it costs more to pull the tank again than the little prick is worth. Its not anyones fault they seem to screw up if touched.I recommend one with every fuel pump I do, and if the customer decides against better judgement a note is put on the invoice stating that in the event of fuel guage failure customer is required to pay for repulling tank instead of us eating it,

Fuel gauge showing over-full is common as dirt.

High resistance anywhere in the gauge-to-sender wiring including connections; and high resistance in the sender-to-ground wiring including connections will put the gauge over-full. High resistance in the sending unit itself may be grounds (no pun intended) for replacing the sending unit.

I'd START by testing wires and connections.