subframe bushings!!!

Artemis

Is there some sort of magical trick to installing new ones? Do I have to pray to the GM gods? I spent nearly a day trying to get these in. Managed to install the 2 rear ones, but the front bushings are so large I can't get the bolt to thread. Captain Ficho and I compressed the new ones in a vice and managed to get them about 1/2" shorter but still I can't get them to thread. Any advice?

• 2 weeks later...

It might help to put the bushings in the freezer overnight, then heat the frame up with a blow torch, or w/e your choice, and gotta be quick about it, but take the bushings out of the freezer and install.

coat the frame area of contact with silicone grease. coat the bushings with silicone grease. This prevents rust out in the future, AND should allow them to slip together easier.

NOW... try this trick:

use a larger ratchet with a long enough socket with extensions: I would use a 1/2" ratchet, about 12"(30cm, for ye Canucks) worth of extensions and a 15mm or 18mm socket(as needed) What you will do is place the socket on the bolt with the ratchet hanging low out the bottom of the car. take a floor jack with a bolock of wood on the jack point and align it under the ratchet. raise the jack to force the ratchet home. turn ratchet. now go have a beer.

while I am at it, where did you pick up these bushings?

coat the frame area of contact with silicone grease. coat the bushings with silicone grease. This prevents rust out in the future, AND should allow them to slip together easier.

NOW... try this trick:

use a larger ratchet with a long enough socket with extensions: I would use a 1/2" ratchet, about 12"(30cm, for ye Canucks) worth of extensions and a 15mm or 18mm socket(as needed) What you will do is place the socket on the bolt with the ratchet hanging low out the bottom of the car. take a floor jack with a bolock of wood on the jack point and align it under the ratchet. raise the jack to force the ratchet home. turn ratchet. now go have a beer.

while I am at it, where did you pick up these bushings?

Got the bushings at Rockauto. I've actually tried pretty much the same thing as you mentioned. Literally jacking the ratchet up. No go. I was out of the country but now I'm back, gonna give it another shot with all the above suggestions.

Also, be absolutely sure you got the right bolts. I ran into this problem on my GP. I ordered a set of bushings from GMPP, but they were late on delivery so I had to pick up a set at the Dealership. The dealership gave me four of the wrong bolts - but two of them fit (the rears) the front bolts were too short to thread all the way through. I had to go back into the dealership and give them original parts numbers from catalog scans, at which point they realized that there are in fact different bolts for the 88-92 models. Longer, I guess. Your GP is a 95 so this might not apply, just might be a bit of info for you that you can use.