how do i defeat my ambient light sensor?

dohcnut

ok so i have a 95 gtp 3.4 dohc. I have unplugged my drl diode so i can drive with parking lamps and fog lights in the day. but even a little bit of a dim afternoon and my auto headlights come on which ruins my effect. also would like to be able to start at5 the drive in without everyone honking(p/ brake does not stop auto lights only drl). I have HID conversions coming for my lowbeams ( I found H4351 to HID sealed beam conversion full kit) I will use Eurolights for my highbeams as I want to be able to flash tha a--holes. i will also cut and ground the wire that makes my fogs turn off with highs as i am getting an 880 HID kit for those. does anybody know how to make the car think its day allthe time? is it as simple as unplugging the photocell, or maybe removing and joining the wires? does resistance go up or down at night. please help me get control of my lights thanks guys.

1995 pontiac grand prix gtp 3.4l dohc LQ1 .030 over,.020 shaved from heads High compression, 2.5" exhaust, 180 degree stat, jet chip, DIY CAI

Just pop the ambient light sensor out and disconnect it. After you unplug it you have to jump the pins together and wrap it up, BAM no more twilight sentinal.

thanks alot I was hoping its that easy but didnt want to go with trial and error. It's nice to know what you are doing before you do it!

thanks again

No problem. I fought this exact thing with my old Aurora when I was trying to run the parking lights/fogs at the same time. Had the DRL bypass just like the w-body guys but it took a little trial and error to find out exactly how to bypass the twilight sentinal. The light sensor trick finally did it!

Parking lights are for when you are NOT MOVING.

Fog lights are for when it's foggy out.

If you're moving, it's daytime, and it's not foggy, turn the lights off.

Parking lights are for when you are NOT MOVING.

Fog lights are for when it's foggy out.

If you're moving, it's daytime, and it's not foggy, turn the lights off.

Yes, officer. :roll:

Agreed 100%

used to cruise in my 95 4 door with fr.lightbar,lightbar fogs,parking lights, and aftermarket fogs under the front bumper(in line with lightbar fogs)=====looked cool.

It's not entirely their fault.

They grew up in an era where GM has bullied their customers; and has tried to bully the NHTSA into believing that headlights in the daytime is a "safety" issue--but cannot cite a single peer-reviewed scientific study conducted in the USA to prove their point. They have lots of junk studies from high-latitude countries; none of which have been peer-reviewed to point out errors or bias.

I wrote to GM and asked for copies of the studies that justified DRLs, and they sent me PRESS RELEASES instead of science. As if a person can't tell the difference between honest science and propaganda.

So...predictably...sheeple figure that if some lights in broad daylight is good, more lights in broad daylight is better. And then you get this clusterfuck where the car or truck looks like a clown-car light show driving down the road.

I wish folks could THINK about what they're doing. Lights in broad daylight doesn't make sense; excessive lights at night is a detriment to other drivers.

But when your voice changes and you're popping pimples while GM falsely advertises DRLs, I guess a person learns to drink the Kool-Aid. And it becomes an attention issue, for grown up "children" who never fully got over the "Mommy! Look at me! MOMMY! See what I can do" phase. Same for spinner hub-caps and exhaust cut-outs and so many other obnoxious but common automotive detritus.

In my youth, some folks actually believed that the 55 mph speed limit saved gas and was safer than higher speed. Happily, that lie has been proven untrue. Some folks still want to go back to "55" again. Propaganda and herd instinct are powerful tools.

Edited by Schurkey

In my youth, some folks actually believed that the 55 mph speed limit saved gas and was safer than higher speed. Happily, that lie has been proven untrue. Some folks still want to go back to "55" again. Propaganda and herd instinct are powerful tools.

But driving 55 DOES save gas...that is fact.

About the only time I use my fogs on the Cutlass, or our HHR is during fog, or daytime rain.

So does airing up the tires, but they didn't make underinflation illegal. Well, it's practically illegal now with the mandated tire inflation sensors...

Overall, the 55 mph speed limit (National Mandated Speed Limit--NMSL) saved about as much gas as would have been saved if everyone in the country properly inflated their tires. Face it, "55" was about speeding ticket revenue, insurance premium revenue, and CONTROLLING THE CITIZEN.

If the vehicle gearing is not suited to the lower speed, it does NOT save gas. Lots of truckers had to install different rear axle ratios or they'd have been unable to use high gear in the transmission.

A couple of years after Nixon signed "55" into law, (a brain-dead reaction to the "Saudi Oil Crisis") the propaganda changed from "fuel economy" to "Safety". They could not prove that 55 was saving enough fuel to justify continuing. So they wrung their hands and cried about traffic deaths and injury instead. After the National Motorists Association ( http://www.motorists.org ) got the government to repeal "55", traffic deaths per mile went DOWN instead of up. We'd been lied to the whole time--21 years of government and insurance industry bullshit.

Saving gas is fine and admirable. Saving TIME is sometimes more important.

There's a big difference between a person CHOOSING to drive slower...and Government DEMANDING that you drive slower under threat of law.

Edited by Schurkey

Well then maybe I have special cars that are geared different, but if you drive 55 it DOES get better gas mileage than at 70...again, maybe it's only in my cars...:think:

Same reason why motorcycles have so many lights on them too probably.

But the most logical answer is that Sylvania is in bed with the Obama administration, and they're forcing auto companies to use DRLs so that we have to buy replacement light bulbs sooner!!!!!:roll:

Getting back to the original topic, I'm a bit confused. My '95 LQ1 Cutlass doesn't seem to have DRL...was it just put on the Pontiac W's, or has someone already disabled it on my car?

Getting back to the original topic, I'm a bit confused. My '95 LQ1 Cutlass doesn't seem to have DRL...was it just put on the Pontiac W's, or has someone already disabled it on my car?

U.S. sold 1st gen Ws did not get DRLs. :thumbsup:

U.S. sold 1st gen Ws did not get DRLs. :thumbsup:

False. My 96 has them. Also shows up in my Comp nine.

Edited by tornado_735