HELP!!! Snapped door handle x2 + closed up car = trouble

EviLette

:bang:

Well.. the title says it all. I don't get paid until Thursday or Friday, depending on when the direct deposit clears.

My passenger side door handle has been snapped for over two years now. I gave up on replacing it because my wonderful passengers keep being kind enough to snap it off for me. Y'all know how that goes, right?

So, knowing full well the predicament I would be in if my driver's side snapped, I knew it was starting to stretch. Just kept adjusting it and living with it... it was colder today than its been in a week or so, went out there this evening to go grab a few groceries and the handle snapped off.

I have someone here who can pull the speaker box out (over my 25lb weight limit) and squeeze his frame through the pass-through.. im too fat to do it now. :( Question is... my car will still be screwed until I can get a new handle on it, can't do that till Friday, but HAVE to be able to shut the car up securely. We are expecting rain, and I don't exactly live in a neighborhood where I'd be willing to leave my windows rolled down over night.

I've heard of a method of running a string down through the door and out the bottom, having it tucked up in the bottom rubber seal. Is it that simple or anything I need to know about that failsafe emergency backup system binding up somewhere on the innards?

Thank-you in advance. And yes, I know, I've been M.I.A. forever, and I only seem to pop up on the scene when Precious needs help... but what can I say? I have no excuse, only my eternal gratitude to you all for your endless knowledge and expertise.

-Margeaux

when this happened to me, I would pull the black cover off of the door exposing the two levers. Whenever I needed in the car, I would just push the door latch lever down.

hmm, okay, that's an idea. :)

I know there is a way to run a string through the door though to rig it up on one of the actuator arms so that if the handle snaps you can still get in without a fuss.... because guaranteed... a handle will snap again.

hmm, okay, that's an idea. :)

I know there is a way to run a string through the door though to rig it up on one of the actuator arms so that if the handle snaps you can still get in without a fuss.... because guaranteed... a handle will snap again.

Good lord dont do this please:lol: Thats how I recieved my vert from Crazy K... Car doors should not have tampon strings:lol:

I once saw a 88-89 Coupe, in super rough shape, at a gas station that had no door handles at all, but had a bolt rigged through the handle-arm slot.

The bolt had a string tied to it, to make pulling on it easier.

I don't know how it was done though...

I had to do that temporarily on my vert when mine borked off. I just tied a shoelace to the handle inside, and ran it through the weatherstripping at the top of the window :lol: Might not work on a coupe, but worked great for me, even though it was ghetto fantastic!

Good lord dont do this please:lol: Thats how I recieved my vert from Crazy K... Car doors should not have tampon strings:lol:

It's better to have a failsafe tucked away than have to call into work because my preggo butt won't fit through the pass through to get in my car to drive to work... especially since I have pretty much given up on pants at this point. LOL!!

I had to do that temporarily on my vert when mine borked off. I just tied a shoelace to the handle inside, and ran it through the weatherstripping at the top of the window :lol: Might not work on a coupe, but worked great for me, even though it was ghetto fantastic!

The person I heard about this from, for a Coupe with the vertical handles, ran a string down to the bottom of the door and tucked the string up in the weather stripping at the bottom.. it was there just in case, but totally invisible and you'd never know it was there if you didn't see the individual have to use it. For the life of me I wish I could remember who it was who mentioned it though!

Take the actual door handle off and manually push the rods down

Yeah, thats what i figured i would do until i can get handles for her.

I did the string add...

I have some thicker nylon cord, and I take and knot it at the joint where the rod from outside handle meets the internal door mechanism. (it moves vertically and is moved down to actuate) Then I run it out the closest weep hole in the bottom of the door. once run and tested, I knot the end off and then tuck it into the weather stripping that runs the bottom of the door. You could pull it out from the door edge in the event of a handle failure with a credit card. you would need access to the inside of the door requiring you to remove the door panel, and sometimes temporarily unbolting the seatbelt mechanism.

How am I not surprised.

reeach across from the inside

Re-read the first post lol. BOTH outside handles are broken... and I'm too fat now to reach across. :( It hurts.

I did the string add...

I have some thicker nylon cord, and I take and knot it at the joint where the rod from outside handle meets the internal door mechanism. (it moves vertically and is moved down to actuate) Then I run it out the closest weep hole in the bottom of the door. once run and tested, I knot the end off and then tuck it into the weather stripping that runs the bottom of the door. You could pull it out from the door edge in the event of a handle failure with a credit card. you would need access to the inside of the door requiring you to remove the door panel, and sometimes temporarily unbolting the seatbelt mechanism.

^^This! Thanks so much :)

Are the doors open now and can you get the handles off? Are the GP handles different from the Lumina ones?

The reason I ask is I was just getting ready to put these up. 2 lumina and a gp one I believe. You can have first crack at them if they will work.

100_0617.jpg

Edited by jimmyfloyd