Opinions on what to do with the GP

AL

So the Grand Prix is rotted to hell... Two days this week I have been cruising on the highway and watched chunks of rust fall off of my car... About 6-8 inch pieces that is (this car does not have pinchwelds anymore)... And my brake lines and fuel lines are rotted to hell too... Also, its been a month and a half and 3200 miles since the last oil change, and my low oil light came on and there is hardly any oil on the diptstick... Over a quart low... It doesnt leak a drop so it must be burning it... Now, I love the car to death... I have all of the maintenance records... Its got everything I want in a car except a blower... And I am not slapping my blower on a 230k mile motor... I drive 90 miles round trip every day so I still want the mileage as I am not taking the truck that far every day, I would end up losing money... So I am curious what you guys would do in my situation... I dont make a whole lot of money but I also dont wanna put my life in danger by driving this car after its unsafe to drive...

So:

Drive it till it doesnt drive anymore

Sell as is

Find rust free GTP, part out my car (might be out of my price range)

Other ideas?

I just wrote a whole long thing, and accidentally hit my mouse's back button, :cussing:

the jist was:

Post on CL with brutal honesty for a bit more than you think it's worth, sell for the first offer that hits the middle of your value on it and what you posted it for. It'll give you some time to see what you can afford, and someone can have a decent running car for a while.

thats kinda where I was/am. I'm supposed to pick up a sonoma this weekend, but for some reason my tax return didn't get deposited as it was supposed to today, so I 'm currently illegally driving the GTP for a few days, until I can mess with the sedan (pretty sure it's ICM/coilpack related).

If you really feel unsafe and you think you can part it out, that might take longer, and net you about the same cash, it might be better than dangering someone else's life, however, that's why I said be very honest, and if they still want it, it's not on you at all.

I made it sound alot worse than it really is... I mean, I would hop in the car and take it absolutely anywhere... But I just wonder how long I will be able to think like that... I am looking for something with a manual trans

theres a 5 speed GTP that Jay posted in the links section, but no pics or anything. I'd take a road trip down with ya. Heck, give me a month or so when mine is ready, and we'll take that to go look at some :lol:

swap would be quicker, but rebuild would allow you to sell the other car. Or if you did that, you could drive the nice one and rebuild the second to sell. I dunno...

If you want another 2nd gen, that one looks great. If it's in as good of shape as it looks, I'd pick it up and decide. rebuilding the current engine in it would be the best thing to do i think, but would take the longest, and then you could sell your current one. If you got that and swapped engines, you could have it done in what, 2 days? then you just have a rusty shell with a no good engine. That's the problem with that

spray down fuel/brake lines with oil, pray.

save, save, save, save find something you want that is free of rust, buy

sell rusty.

That black one looks sexy! I may email on that too, thanks man!

However, I am not paying more than 1500 for a replacement, those bottom two are dealers and I am not paying dealership pricing again

That black one looks sexy! I may email on that too, thanks man!

However, I am not paying more than 1500 for a replacement, those bottom two are dealers and I am not paying dealership pricing again

I figured you might be interested in that one, haha. :) I would offer him 1k.

My options:

1: drive it until it drives no more and do not do a thing to it except oil changes. If its burning/losing oil just add more.

2: Sell it and never worry about it again. Take money and buy something lest rusty.

3: Drive to scrapyard with title in hand, being sure that you have soaked the interior with water and you have the truck full of cement blocks. Get scrap value for car, put toward purchase of something lest rusty.

If it were my car, i would have already stripped anything I want from it, cut it up, and sent it to the scrapyard.

I pretty much have to keep driving the thing in order to make any money at work... I am searching kentuckys craigslists though... I am saving up to buy something though

Save up for a cheap mailer better that is nothing more than a means of cheap transportation that gets great gas mileage, and do nothing to it other than oil changes.