Typical A/C Question

dodgethis

Guys, were is the low side to vacuum, and recharge r134a on a 3100? Its on the '98 Lumina. I remember someone saying it was hidden under the air filter box, is that true?

yep, pull the box, that's the only way you'll get to it. the high side and low side have different sized fittings anyway, so you can't connect anything wrong.

I am able to fish the hose down there and plug it in without taking anything off, but you can take it off if you want it makes it a lot easier. I get lazy when it comes to taking the airbox out.

Thanks guys, I know ya'll wont like to hear it, but im just going to buy the quick bottle with the gauge and give it a shot, if i find the pressure is still within the region, and i can't really add any freon, then I will break down and buy a manifold gauge, freon, and rent a vacuum pump, and do it the right way. Too damn bloody hot without AC otherwise.

Hey crazy I did check with autozone, and the do alllow renting of gauges and vacuum pump. I'm just throwing that out there for those who are considering it.

Well I hate to say it, but I talked my self out of it after I bought one of those self ac kit. I got one of those sub zero kits autozone is selling. I think I will take it back and get a refund, and instead rent the pump and gauge and get some dye 134a freon. I think it would be best to start right the first time.

I can almost guarantee the condenser went bad. Look on the drivers side lower corner. Chances are it's beat. All of my 1.5 gens have had leaks in that spot.

Well i know im not too low on pressure as the compressor still kicks in naturally, and not intermittently. I just want to top off, Rather than vaccuming it all out, i think i just get the gauge and some freon with dye to confirm where its leaking. I would feel better doing that way than giving it a type of fix a flat to the situation. 3pt1lumina, got any tips when hooking up the gauges? How did you go about it?

Hmmm, I have to be honest the only car I've ever done it the "real" way with the proper guages is on the 96 and 97 but my buddy did it when I worked at the dealer so I am not sure if he took the airbox off. On my white Lumina, I just bought one of those cans with the reusable charging lines with a guage on it, and it takes two small cans to get it into the "full" range. The air in that car is just as cold as the others (well it was until the A/C clutch stopped working last year).

I mean to ask this, where is the high side? Im going to grab a manifold gauge tomorrow. I think its right next to the low side. I don't know how true that is though. :think:

true, a 3100 resides in it's engine bay, but that doesn't mean i have quick and easy access to take a pic anytime soon...

alldata isn't giving any useful pictures either.

Rob, if you were standing in front of the engine bay, and you saw where the low side was, can you direct me where "you" feel it is other than the 12 inches away at the most?

there should only be two HVAC lines in the general area, if you can see the lowside port, then the highside is on the other line..... and close by. :lol:

i would look in the direction of the brake booster, if i had to guess.

there should only be two HVAC lines in the general area, if you can see the lowside port, then the highside is on the other line..... and close by. :lol:

i would look in the direction of the brake booster, if i had to guess.

Understood, i only ask, because last time i looked at the lowside, there was another AC line right next to with valve cap of course, and i keep wonderin if that "could" be the High side :dance:

Yes, they are both next to eachother, one is at an angle. I just cant remember which is which, but they are super close to eachother near the airbox. Look between the airbox and the washer fluid tank and you will see them down there.

Well I'll give you guys an update. I attached a AC manifold gauge, and I immediately found out that the low side was roughly 30 psi, and the high side stayed below roughly at 40psi, it would seem in this case that the Low side was still high and the high side was low, which would indicate that there might be a blockage somewhere, or failing compressor. What i did find that was interesting was i could see the compressor did in fact turn, but i never saw that ac clutch engage. I find it weird that the compressor never cycled on or off. The compressor continuously ran without having the clutch engage or disengage. I did attempt to add freon to the system, and i didn't notice the increase in pressure, until i shutdown the car, and realized that i shot up my low side to about 70 psi, and my high side did not change that much. I guess i have confirmed that i have blockage somewhere in the system. I discharged my low side to be with between 40 and 50 psi due to the ambient temperature was roughly 80 degrees when i did it.

Any thoughts? I have already bought my own AC manifold gauge, and bought at least 8 cans (stocking up) of 134a can for cheap for 8 dollars a can, better than the $16.00 charge being sold at some of the auto part stores of regular 134a cans.

the relay apart and Kick it on manually. That tells you if the clutch is good or not Sometimes i was always told to kick the AC clutch on manually to keep it even.