fuel filter quick disconnect

anton74

The quick disconnect fitting at fuel filter is leaking. Recently, I replaced the fuel filter and found that the new filter has a lot of play in quick disconnect. Also, the connection was leaking. It seems that the diameter of the outlet of the old filter (aftermarket) was slightly larger than that of the new filter (aftermarket too). So I took a small viton o-ring and added it to existing o-rings, just after the plastic ring. Somehow I managed to reconnect the filter and there was no leak for about a week. Today the connection developed a leak again, the quick disconnect fitting was open. I removed my viton o-ring and used a teflon tape to reseal the connection, but this was a temporary solution. I know that there is a repair kit for the fuel line but I need to solve this problem quickly and I don't have time to order the kit. How can I reseal the fitting?

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I just had this problem!!! I got that filter with the quick connect fitting on the inlet.

Well the las time I replaced it I used a NAPA silver filter, painted BLACK, even on the stem where the quick connect slides...

and today I just replaced it with a NAPA GOLD which is far superior, more filter media, bigger pleats. It is NOT painted, and lo and behold it started to leak!

I used some Vaseline, and made reinserted the connect and made sure it was straight, no leak. My conclusion is that black paint or the stamping of that SILVER filter was on the large size.

I had the same problem. I used my remote start ahile back and the fitting blew out of the filter and the car continued to run and dumped 3-4 gallons of gasoline under the car. Surprisingly it was still running. I was pissed. I only stick with ac-delco after that. The aftermarkets dont seem to have any quality control and are terrible.

Word of advice you never want to rig a fuel line. It can fail at any time and be a tragic mistake.