Lookin At A 2006 Grand Prix Tomorrow

ZeeQuick

My buick is starting to get a tad long in the tooth (177K) so I've been casually browsing some replacement options. Dealer by me has a 2006 Grand Prix GT for sale with the 3800 supercharged motor. 55,000 on the clock, they want $11,900 for it. 17 inch rims, loaded with everything except the sunroof. Going to test drive it tomorrow, anything specific I should be looking for with those cars? Did a walk around it the other day, its not mint but not in bad shape. Rims are chipped in a few spots and some of the pin-striping is fading. Otherwise just needs a good detail job.

For that price it should be mint, not scuffed up and dirty. 55k is low for an 06, but I dont know, price seems high. My sister got her 06 in 08 with 14k for $11,900 but it's not supercharged.

Why so cheap on the prices? Most of them in the area are right around the $12,000 mark for GTs both supercharged and non-supercharged. KBB.com has the car at around $15,000 retail. Have these cars really lost their value? No doubt they are a dime a dozen, I see a ton of them around here, mostly the non-supercharged GTs

Why so cheap on the prices? Most of them in the area are right around the $12,000 mark for GTs both supercharged and non-supercharged. KBB.com has the car at around $15,000 retail. Have these cars really lost their value? No doubt they are a dime a dozen, I see a ton of them around here, mostly the non-supercharged GTs

Because you can get GXPs for around $10k up here.

Went to test drive it, runs good and is a solid car. Comes with a 12 month bumper to bumper warranty. Lowest they would go is 200/month for 66 months. I told them I wanted that for 60 months and they won't budge.....yet. Really is a nice car. I don't see any in this area that are supercharged with low miles for much cheaper. Thinking about it for the weekend....might just save my money and daily drive the GTO for the summer.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=63841820&listingRecNum=22&criteria=sf1Dir%3DDESC%26mkId%3D20035%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D21251%26rd%3D30%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId%26zc%3D44130%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national

$200 x 66 mo = $13,200........... Price of the car is only supposed to be $11,900...so that must have all fees and taxes rolled in.

So it's 5 years old now, so by the time it's paid off it will be 11 years old. Damn, that's and old car. What's an 11 yr old W worth? Not much.

But if it's the only one in the area that you can find and it's nice, grab it. I just can't see making payments on a car that will be 11 years old when it's paid off. My $.02 for whatever it's worth.

$200 is a good figure for a payment, very manageable if you decide to do it.

Yeah they rolled taxes and everything into it. so that's why its over sticker. I'd be making extra payments on it, no way it would take me that long to pay it off, but I get your points. Either way I'm not completely in love with the car, not to seem petty but the lack of a sunroof kinda bugs me. Maybe if its still for sale a week or so from now I'll go back up there and see if they'll work with me more. They really are not budging from the price though. Its just so funny how the whole process of buying from a dealer works, such BS. I had actually walked out and was getting into my car to leave when the guy came back with the final offer of 200/month. Gotta love it.

GXP would be cool, but from what I understand I'd have to run snow tires in the winter, which kinda figures into the cost here.

Area has a lot to do with the price of a car, out here GM W-s arent cheap either unless they are old and beat. Anything '05 and up is pricey. My advice: Find the car you absolutely have to have, the car you love and get the best deal possible on that car. Pay the man and drive home happy. Don't buy a car you kinda like, just because it was a good deal.

And if you DO desire a sunroof, DO find a car with one. I got one without after having one with a sunroof.... and I miss it EVERY SINGLE DAY.

I agree, be sure you're absolutely in love with it. I wanted a Monte Z34 or SS and I ended up buying a Malibu LS. It didnt have a sunroof and it was nice, but it wasn't what I wanted. Every check I wrote on that car I despised it more and more. Finally I sold it to my dad and bought some other stuff in between, I did end up buying what I wanted but it was 7 years later.

Good advice guys. It is tempting though just because the miles are low and it comes with the warranty....but I really would miss the sunroof, especially when cruising around at night. I have a feeling that I would feel much like Night Fury and 3pt1 did if I bought this car. Having only driven the GTO for a few years I got used to not having a sunroof, but once I bought the Buick for my winter beater I realized how much I missed having it. I suppose there are enough Grand Prixs floating around that I should be able to find one that I really like eventually.

And if you DO desire a sunroof, DO find a car with one. I got one without after having one with a sunroof.... and I miss it EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Cut a hole in the roof of the Festiva. Problem solved!!