LX9 Swap Questions

Addicted To Boost

So, if someone were wanting to swap an LX9 into a first gen, OBDI w-body, what all is needed to do the swap? Does it matter if it was pulled from say, an '06 G6?

What would I do about motor mounts, dog bones and the lower mount? Is there an ECM/chip combination that this would run best on, without going through the trouble of swapping the whole car to OBDII?

• Like 1

get 04-06 3500. use motor mounts, exhaust manifolds, brackets, accessories, basically all under hood stuff from any gen 1 or gen 1.5 W body with a 3100. Get the external crank trigger and a custom throttle body. Run it on OBD1 with a custom chip...

Will a stock 3400 throttle body bolt up? Why is it necessary to swap the exhaust manifolds? Is there a specific reason the stock 3500 manis won't work?

What AC compressor will I need to use? Will a w-body 3100 lower motor mount bolt up to the bottom of an '06 G6 3500?

Thanks!

The throttle body will not bolt up. You can buy an adapter from milzy motorsports for 50 bucks. Or bolt up a 3400 UIM and throttle body.

You also need a crank trigger. The 3100 lower engine mount bolts up. The driver side dogbone mount bolts up. If you use 3500 UIM you need a FPR relocation kit from wot-tech. The exhaust on the 3500 goes down under the motor instead of around under the throttle body. I think a 3100 a/c compressor bolts up.

Here's a couple of threads to read through so you can see what all is involved with lx9 swapping a w

http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthread.php/47806-3500-Swap-Finally-Underway-a-few-questions

http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthread.php/36647-3500-swap-questions

http://wot-tech.com/shop/articles/swapping-a-3500-upper-onto-a-3400-engine/cat_80.html

i think you can still use your stock 3.1 a/c compressor.

You need the fuel rail for a 3x00, and i have heard that grinding clearance into the intake manifold may be an option...

You need 3100/3400 exhaust manifolds and crossover.... the 97+ rear exhaust manifold is superior to the 96- exhaust manifold, but it also has a specific W-body downpipe that must come from a gen 1 or gen 1.5 97+ 3100 car. (or custom?)

The 3500 will be going into a car currently with a blown LQ1 in it.

Seems like I'll have to use a lot of 3400 parts anyway, is there much benefit in running a 3500 vs running a 3400? Just curious.

The 3500 had better flow from the heads up. Also a crank scraper and some oil jets on the pistons. A 3400/3500 hybrid is a popular swap too. Using a 3400 bottom and a 3500 top is will keep you from buying an external trigger and installing the 3400 crank pulley with it's 50something x sensor.

Or you could do a megasquirt:thumbsup:

• Like 1

I was hoping to find something that drops in without a ton of work, and is similar in power output to the LQ1, that's why I'm considering the LA1 and the LX9.

• Like 1

Repair/turbo LQ1

I'm sure the LQ1 is destroyed. I hydrolocked it at 5,500 RPM. This will just be a daily beater anyway.